Where you read it first | Saturday, September 21, 2024

Five Tufts men’s lacrosse players hospitalized after workout led by Tufts alumnus

Following Monday’s workout, 12 athletes were diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis — a condition that can be life-threatening.

IMG_8988.jpg
The Tufts men's lacrosse team is pictured in 2021.

Five Tufts men’s lacrosse players remain hospitalized with rhabdomyolysis — commonly known as “rhabdo” — after participating in a 45-minute workout session on campus last Monday. A Tufts alumnus and graduate of the BUD/S, or Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL, Navy SEAL training program led the exercise. Of the approximately 50 team members who participated, 12 were diagnosed with rhabdo following the workout.

In a statement, Patrick Collins, Tufts’ executive director of media relations, said that the number of diagnoses may fluctuate with time.

“Both the number of confirmed cases and the number of those hospitalized could change,” Collins wrote. “Our thoughts are with the players and their families, and we are hoping for their quick return to good health under the care of local medical experts.”

Collins also described the university’s efforts to uncover more information about the situation.

“The university is appointing an external, independent investigator to conduct a thorough review as quickly as possible, with a goal of taking any steps needed to support the safety of our student athletes,” Collins stated. “We are unable to provide additional details until the investigation is complete.”

Rhabdo is a rare but life-threatening disease that, if not treated effectively, can cause permanent disability or death. It occurs when muscle tissue breaks down and releases a protein called myoglobin into the blood, which can severely damage the kidneys. Rhabdo can be caused by a number of factors, including physical overexertion over a short period of time. Symptoms include muscle weakness, dark and discolored urine, nausea and fever. It is often treated via an IV drip to correct the body’s urine production and prevent kidney failure.

The Tufts men’s lacrosse team has historically enjoyed a high degree of success, winning its fourth Division III national championship last spring by defeating the Rochester Institute of Technology 18–14. When contacted by the Daily regarding last Monday’s exercise, Casey D’Annolfo, Tufts’ men’s lacrosse head coach, declined to comment.

This is a developing story.