Where you read it first | Thursday, September 26, 2024

Bridging the Herd: The SMFA SGA’s plans for the year

The SMFA Student Government Association moves to bridge the SMFA with the greater Tufts community.

SMFA Cafe
The SMFA atrium is pictured in Sept. 2021.

Whether seeking a Bachelors of Fine Arts or combined degree, Tufts students are acutely aware of the nearly 6-mile trek between the university’s Medford/Somerville and Boston campuses. Now, six years after the Fenway-located School of the Museum of Fine Arts formally became a part of Tufts University, the art school’s Student Government Association is looking to bridge both the physical and emotional distance between the two school’s student bodies.

The SGA, spearheaded by current president Aria Ma, has evolved from a mostly defunct student board to an efficient organization focused on creating new initiatives. According to Ma, this transformation was driven by a desire to cultivate a community that supports fine arts students.

“The SGA wasn’t really created until right before [the pandemic], and right when COVID hit, it didn’t really have time to develop … so there wasn’t that much of a presence,” Ma said. “I didn’t even know SGA existed … during [my first] two years. … So when I saw the flier to apply for candidacy, I just really wanted the opportunity to become more visible on campus.” 

Ma attributes her candidacy to some of the struggles she experienced as a combined-degree student. This sentiment is reflected by others serving on the board, including Madeline Flynne, the acting SGA treasurer.

“Combined degree has been pretty difficult to navigate. We don’t really have a designated guidance counselor or anyone to help us. … As a [first-year] and sophomore, I was just super overwhelmed the entire time and it felt like I had no one that could help me,” Flynne said. “I expected more support for this type of program.

To address those feelings, the SGA created a mentorship program last year to pair upperclassmen with new students. Students are assigned a mentor based on their degree and medium/major. While the program included 12 pairs of students in its first year, the SGA is hoping to build the initiative. The board ensured that the mentorship program was implemented into the schedule during new student orientation this fall.

Vice President of the SGA Aline Chalfin spoke to the necessity of the newfound mentorship program. You feel the divide [between] SMFA and Tufts when you’re on [either] campus,” Chalfin said. “So us, the student body and [the] people [who are] a part of SGA, want to make an experience … so you’re not just a Tufts student or an SMFA student. We want students to feel like they’re supported.”

The mentorship program is only the tip of the iceberg of SGA’s efforts. Beyond the program, the board is looking to formulate a comprehensive network that addresses each of the various needs expressed by SMFA students.

To do so, SGA members have worked diligently alongside administrators and faculty advisors.  As part of the group’s recent projects, a working partnership with Tufts Dining and Tufts Transportation has taken shape.

“Working with administration, they have been incredibly interested in what our thoughts are and [they] want our suggestions, advice [and] commentary on improving things,” Ma said. “The reason SGA exists is because there is a disconnect between the student experience and what administration thinks we need, and that’s why the SGA is so important: so we can bridge that communication.”

Last year, the SMFA cafe at 230 Fenway sported a wider variety of food options and provided after-hour snacks during finals week. The SGA advocated for the creation of a new program that now supplies SMFA students with MBTA passes, and is currently working to improve shuttle schedules.

Stephen Green, the associate director for SMFA student life, lauded the efforts of those serving on the SGA. “It’s a really rewarding thing as an administrator to be able to [work] with the SGA, because they’re really dedicated and they really believe in making the SMFA a really great place for all students,” Green said. “And this particular group that I’ve been working with for the past two years have made a lot of really positive and lasting impacts on the community. … They’re able to set these goals and set this vision, and have something to show for it.”

One of these successful goals was the rollout of an SMFA budget more than twice as high as that of previous years. The increased funding has allowed for more programming and events for fine arts students.

This year, the SGA handed out free art supplies to new students during orientation. The board plans to funnel resources into SMFA-specific clubs and host food events and has built out offerings and mentorship programs with the Career Center and Derby Entrepreneurship Center. The board also has an Exhibition Chair who scouts locations and events at which students can display their art.

“It’s really hard to have students advocate for themselves,” Cheflin said. “Who else is going to listen to us, if not the students themselves? We’re really trying to be the voice and the ears of the student body.” 

Ma credits SGA team members for the changes implemented in recent years. Looking towards the future, the SGA hopes to continue listening to and addressing student concerns while growing the program as time goes on.

“The SMFA is truly an amazing place to feel creativity and be around people unequivocally supporting you in bringing your artistic ideas to reality,” Ma said. “The SMFA community is part of the wider Tufts community, … [and] I’m really excited to see how this year pans out for development of programs and pushing quality of life for students forward.”