Where you read it first | Monday, September 16, 2024

A little R and R

By fall, one should be relaxed, rejuvenated and well-read.

pile of books.jpg

A stack of books is pictured.

If I were to associate summer with three words, they would be rest, rejuvenation and, most importantly, reading. The months of June, July and August are crucial to reassure my conscience and my Goodreads that I am indeed keeping up with my TBR — I often divide my vacation into phases based on the books I intend to read, to go with my desired aesthetic or vibe. My TBR is erratic at best, and it’s difficult to pick just two books, but we are working with a word count here. Here are my top two reads of this summer:

Desperately Seeking Shah Rukh” (2021) by Shrayana Bhattacharya

As a political science student and a Bollywood fanatic, I thought that “Desperately Seeking Shah Rukh” would be the ideal book for me (as the thoughtful individual who gifted it to me for my birthday correctly assumed). Shrayana Bhattacharya’s take on relationships, economics and the currency of desire is tied together by the widespread admiration this eternal Indian hero commands.  

The author interviews Indian women from across the class spectrum, a range that spans generation and geography, to yield insightful conclusions about gender roles in modern India. Aside from her engaging writing, Bhattacharya’s attempt to do justice to her interviewees works. Her empathetic style allows the reader to better understand not just the anecdotes but their socio-political context as well. Commentary is best served with some humor, and she does not disappoint on that front either — from ubiquitous aunties to pesky playboys, no one is safe from her astute observations. (I chuckled at the mention of my own neighborhood in Bombay, whose denizens are rightly referred to as “beautiful, gluten free people.”) Interspersed with pop culture tidbits, accessible data and the author’s own commentary, “Desperately Seeking Shah Rukh” promises an enjoyable read to all.  

Rules of Civility” (2011) by Amor Towles  

My paperback copy of “Rules of Civility” traveled 7,601 miles with me this June, from one home to another. This was also a gift, one for the start of my junior year — my self-control lasted about three weeks. One July morning on the Northeast Regional 171, I flipped open to the first page and fell headlong into a world that I slowly began to feel nostalgic for, despite never having inhabited it.  

The book commences on Dec. 31, 1937, as the sights, sounds and smells of the New York New Year swirl around, engulfing the audience in a haze of cigarette smoke and saxophones. Katey Kontent, the protagonist, stands on the cusp of what promises to be an exciting year. As our heroine navigates elite circles and lifestyles, complete with resplendent rivieras, Towles draws the reader into a carefully yet effortlessly crafted narrative that is, quite simply, about living. The book both validates and debunks the eponymous rules of civility, as Katey’s incisive wit breaks through facade and intrigue. The author expertly captures the atmosphere of the time, with writing so captivating that one begins to wonder if all bankers and businessmen could be as interesting as Towles’ characters.  

I will add that the experience of reading “Rules of Civility” was complemented by the atmosphere I read it in — the story’s vintage feel seemed right for a seven-hour train journey from Boston to Philadelphia. (I will purposefully ignore any Amtrak slander — to each their own, one of the many lessons a reader can take away from the book.)  

Those were the two literary highlights from the six books I read in the last three months. What did you read this summer? (No seriously tell me, I need to update my TBR.)