Where you read it first | Thursday, June 27, 2024

SMFA professors of the practice hold first contract negotiations

The professors, who are represented by SEIU Local 509, are seeking wage increases and more support from the university.

IMG_7017.jpg
The School of Museum of Fine Arts is pictured on April 5, 2023.

Professors of the practice at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts at Tufts held their first-ever bargaining session with the university on April 24, seeking a contract that would guarantee wage increases, enhanced research support and more transparent employment policies, among other negotiations. This marks the first time that SMFA professors of the practice have initiated a bargaining agreement since SMFA merged with Tufts in 2016.

SMFA professors of the practice are represented by Service Employees International Union Local 509, which also represents part-time lecturers at the School of Arts and Sciences, part-time lecturers at the SMFA and Tufts graduate student workers. In August 2022, part-time lecturers from both schools established a five-year contract with the university, which SMFA part-time lecturers reopened in September to address faculty compensation structures.

“First-time contracts, like the one the professors of the practice are bargaining for here, often take a year or more to negotiate,” Patrick Collins, executive director of media relations, wrote in a statement to the Daily. “The university believes that there are opportunities for alignment between the professors of the practice and the A&S faculty, including the full- and part-time lecturers, while also being mindful that each negotiation is unique and presents unit-specific circumstances that must be addressed.”

PoPs, who comprise many of the full-time faculty at the SMFA, are in charge of conducting research, teaching and advising students and developing the SMFA’s curriculum, among other responsibilities.

“We have … really world-class faculty. That’s part of what … is unique in this group of PoPs. They’re just incredibly impressive people and artists, thinkers [and] makers,” Reiss said.

This year, Reiss was one of 11 individuals at Tufts to receive a Springboard Fellowship, a grant program offered by the university. Other PoPs include Tanya Crane, a 2024 U.S. Artists Fellow; and Rachelle Mozman, a 2024 Guggenheim Fellow. However, despite support from fellowships, Boston’s high cost of living makes it difficult for PoPs to support themselves.

“[There are] really prestigious and fantastic opportunities for our faculty. And yet, we’re all in a similar struggle to live in the Boston area. We’re struggling to be able to afford to buy homes and in many cases maintain studio space,” Reiss said.

Through their contract, the union aims to give professors of the practice the support that they need to devote sufficient time and energy into teaching their students. Reiss explained that there is a direct relationship between the quality of professors’ working conditions and the quality of the support they can offer their students.  

“How much better could we support our students if we had more time ourselves and more clarity on our workload and different research funding supports? she asked.

At the beginning of the bargaining process, the union sent surveys to PoPs in which they could lay out their priorities for the negotiations. One of the main priorities that emerged was introducing a system of rank and progression, which would provide mentorship for new faculty and allow PoPs to build their careers within the university.

Acquiring more research funding is also a key priority for the union. As McMillan explained, professors of the practice often incorporate their research into their own teachings.

“We’re always trying to innovate in terms of curriculum development and see how we can make very real-world experiences for our students,” she said.

In a statement to the Daily, SEIU Local 509 President David Foley wrote, “We are determined to win a strong contract that recognizes the labor of SMFA Professors of the Practice. Local 509 members at Tufts University know firsthand the work it takes to keep the prestigious university running and we stand behind Professors of the Practice as they fight to have their work valued and fairly compensated.”

In recent weeks, many SMFA students have expressed their support for PoPs through attending events hosted by the Tufts Labor Coalition, signing the professors’ online petition and spreading awareness about the union’s ongoing negotiations.

“It’s been incredible to see the student support. … I’m just incredibly humbled by that,” Reiss said. “It’s part of the reason why we’re all here. Our community is remarkable and people are dedicated and really so committed to the work of civic engagement on many levels, and that takes place right here in our community in a big way.”

The second bargaining session is scheduled for May 29, according to Collins. The university previously requested to cancel a May 15 session so that faculty members can attend the final A&S faculty meeting with outgoing dean James Glaser. The union requested that the June bargaining sessions be cancelled as well.

“Due to the departure of the union’s long-time business agent, Chaz Carroll, the union requested that the parties cancel their June sessions,” Collins wrote. “We want to be clear that these cancellations do not reflect a lack of commitment by either party. We look forward to our next session and to our continued work with the professors of the practice.”

Trending
The Tufts Daily Crossword with an image of a crossword puzzle
The Print Edition
Tufts Daily front page