Where you read it first | Friday, October 18, 2024

Senior Profile: Copy executive Natalie Bricker looks back on her Daily journey

Bricker, who has also written for the Arts and Features sections, joined the Daily after transferring to Tufts as a junior.

IMG_8565.jpg
Natalie Bricker is pictured on May 1.

Editor’s note: The Daily’s editorial department acknowledges that this article is premised on a conflict of interest. This article is a special feature for Commencement 2024 that does not represent the Daily’s standard journalistic practices.

Natalie Bricker had a untraditional journey to Tufts University, transferring from the University of Michigan at the start of her junior year. At Michigan, Bricker was a copy editor and wrote for The Michigan Daily, skills she would bring to The Tufts Daily as both a writer and current executive copy editor.

“I joined just as a copy editor at first for The Tufts Daily and then decided to write a little bit of arts,” Bricker said. “Then I decided to write my first column, which was coffee shop reviews last year.”

Her coffee shop column, “Caffeinated Commentary,” was a fun excuse to go visit a new coffee shop every week and a chance to review a variety of drinks. With this experience, Bricker has discovered that she appreciates the opportunity to express her personal writing style.

“I’ve always liked writing things from my voice. … I kind of like adding my own flair,” Bricker said.

When asked about her favorite pieces she’s written, Bricker singled out her features article on this semester’s all-female managing board, which she’s “really proud of,” along with some arts reviews she’s written.

“My favorite fun thing I’ve written was the Reneé Rapp review,” Bricker said. “That was really fun for me to go through the whole album and review all the songs, but then also [review] the album as a whole.”

Outside of writing for the Daily, Bricker spoke very highly of the Daily’s community, specifically the Daily office. If you are on the Daily and haven’t been to the office, she insists you must stop by.

“I’ve met most of my best friends through the Daily, and I love being in the office,” Bricker said. “It’s such a fun, chaotic vibe.”

Being in the office copy editing two to four nights a week, sometimes until 2 a.m., Bricker holds fond memories of her fellow Daily members.

“It’s like sleepover vibes, where you’re all just delirious and everything’s funny,” Bricker said. “But we’re making a paper that people are going to read.”

As a transfer student, Bricker understands that the change can be intimidating, which is why outside of the Daily she also writes a blog for Tufts Undergraduate Admissions.

“I felt so clueless coming in as a transfer, so I just want to spread all the knowledge I can about that,” Bricker said.

Her advice to transfer students and new students? Do not be afraid to put yourself out there and make the ‘scary’ choice.

“If you’re nervous, everyone else is too. And someone’s going to be overjoyed if you reach out to them, even if it feels a little nerve-wracking,” Bricker said. “It’s worth shooting your shot with new friends and new clubs, and just doing all the things and seeing what sticks.”

Reflecting on her experience at Tufts and college as a whole, Bricker makes it clear that transferring was a good decision for her.

“I’m super, super thankful that I transferred, even though it was hard and scary,” Bricker said.

Graduating and entering the ‘real world is intimidating, but in saying goodbye to Tufts, Bricker’s simple words are likely ones that resonate with seniors across campus.

“I’m going to miss it a lot,” she said.