Where you read it first | Sunday, September 22, 2024

Alumni Q&A: Maya Blackstone

CNN producer and new Alumni Council member reflects on telling visual stories, professional path.

Maya Blackstone Headshot.jpeg

Maya Blackstone is pictured.

Editor’s note: This article is a special feature for the Tufts Daily Alumni Newsletter that does not represent the Daily’s standard journalistic practices.

Maya Blackstone is a seasoned multimedia journalist and producer with a dynamic track record at prestigious news outlets including CNN and The New York Times. At CNN, Maya takes her ideas from pitch to publication, often traveling in the field to film and report innovative stories. Maya’s work covers a wide array of topics from politics and culture to technology. Her work has consistently been at the forefront of CNN’s news coverage, both online and on TV. Prior to her current role, Maya developed an interactive platform for CNN+, enhancing audience engagement with on-camera talent, and produced impactful news videos at the New York Times, focusing on major events like the 2020 election. And of course, Maya got her start at Tufts writing for the Daily where she once reported several articles on the school swimming pool. 

In the spirit of our podcast “My Daily Story,” we’d like to start by asking — what’s your Daily story? 

I joined the Daily during my very first semester at Tufts! I was drawn to it even before enrolling, thanks to an edition I picked up during Jumbo Days, which played a role in my decision to attend Tufts. I still remember I wrote my first article on the Musicians Collective, and the process gave me the opportunity to learn more about campus. When I first started, I would get really anxious before interviews, but then by senior year, they became second nature. I always admired that anyone could join the Daily; I think that’s really special and not always the case at a college newspaper. I’m grateful for my experience on the Daily because it made me a better writer and editor and taught me skills I use in my job every day. 

Tell us a little bit about your path post-graduation, from Curtis Hall to CNN. Did your time at Tufts prepare you for what came next? 

My first job out of college was at New York 1 News, where I was a news assistant. Every morning at 5 a.m. I was sent out with a camera to report on the biggest stories in the five boroughs of New York. I got the role through a Tufts connection, reporter Josh Robin. After that role, I went back to school getting a Masters in Journalism at Columbia. The program helped me advance my career, and I landed at the New York Times and then after CNN. My time at Tufts prepared me well for these roles, because it provided me with a strong liberal arts foundation to build on. I felt confident as a writer and an editor and also capable of discussing complex ideas. While some undergraduate programs prepare their students with technical skills, I feel that my undergraduate education at Tufts gave me an editorial foundation I’ve built upon since graduating. Technical skills are easy to learn and technology itself is always changing, but the ability to understand the news and world events and think critically — those are areas that aren’t easily teachable. 

Why video journalism specifically? What does a multimedia platform offer that written reporting doesn’t?

Video journalism is a medium that I’ve fallen in love with since my time at Tufts. I think telling stories with visual impact and creating context in stories through visuals makes them more engaging and impactful. I love thinking of stories visually and feel the impact helps viewers understand and empathize with the news on a deeper level. I also think video, especially in the documentary style, enhances storytelling and makes the news feel more immediate and accessible. When I produce, I look for visuals that contain complexity and nuance as a way to make stories more digestible. Additionally, I’ve loved working at CNN, where video stories have a greater reach and can be shown on multimedia platforms across our company. 

You’ve covered a lot in your time as a professional journalist. Is there one story that still sticks with you?

In May of last year, I traveled to Florida and spent a few days with the McKee family as they packed up to move to another state because their daughter could no longer get access to her healthcare. I’m forever grateful the family trusted me and let me bear witness to such an intimate time in their lives. I think the story was important because it showed a national story through such a personal lens. 

Why did you decide to join the Alumni Council? Anything you’re particularly excited to work on? 

My experience at Tufts was deeply rewarding. Attending a small liberal arts college and exploring a diverse array of subjects laid the groundwork for my professional journey. While still a student, I networked often, but I wished there was a more structured way to make connections between students and alumni, particularly given the absence of a specific journalism program at Tufts. I’m excited about mentorship initiatives on the Alumni Council and can’t wait to create meaningful connections with current students. 

If you could tell your college self one thing, what would it be? 

Appreciate the dining hall while you still can! You’ll miss living so close to Dewick when you’re in the real world and have to cook for yourself. 

Last question. In fall 2015 you wrote a column about binge-watching called “A Semester of Netflix.” So we have to ask: Any TV recommendations? 

Yes! I just finished watching “Yellowjackets!” It was pretty scary, but such a good show.