Where you read it first | Sunday, October 6, 2024

Confessions of a Cooking Fanatic: A foray into veganism

Start the New Year adventurously with some simple tried-and-tested recipes.

Confessions of a Cooking Fanatic

Graphic by Rachel Wong

As I return to campus, my refrigerator is conveniently devoid of its meat and dairy products. And so I must ask myself: What would going vegan look like this semester?

I’d argue that I’ve had a plant-conscious diet for most of my time in college, at times describing my diet as “fiscally vegan, socially whatever,” as I only purchased plant-based items from the grocery store but would attend a weekly charcuterie night with friends. I’ve only confidently cooked meat upon my purchase of a meat thermometer last June. So while last semester's column explored the recipes I had the newfound confidence to cook, this semester’s column will hold me accountable through a new process and share the best of my finds.

My intent is not to e-vegan-ize (e-vegan-gelize?) my readers, but rather to explain how I plan to go vegan. Whether you are Veganuary-ing, interested in incorporating more plant-based options into your diet or just looking for recipe ideas this winter, this column is for you.

1. Pantry Pasta with Vegan Cream Sauce

This particular recipe was a pandemic find of mine, and it has grown into a comfort staple. Historically, I’ve opted to use chickpea pasta to increase satiability. While it is found on the Bon Appétit website, one can access about three free recipes before the paywall kicks in. However, I believe that visiting the Bon Appétit website from a lab computer will yield access to an additional five recipes. Bonus note: printing directly from the lab computers in the Joyce Cummings Center is free.

1. Creamy White Bean Soup with Kale

Receiving rave reviews from my roommates (“It’s phenomenal”) and my roommate’s girlfriend (“That was the best soup I had all winter”), this soup is by Rainbow Plant Life, one of the best vegan creators on YouTube. While I’m not rolling on a bouquet garni budget, several modifications can be made to reduce the list of ingredients. For the bundle of herbs, I’d recommend just selecting several sprigs of rosemary because it’s a hearty herb that you can incorporate into recipes over the following two weeks. My gremolata consists of one lemon’s worth of juice and zest and two garlic cloves. These modifications still earned rave reviews.

1. Turmeric-Black Pepper (Tofu) with (Green Beans)

Originally a chicken and asparagus recipe, my friend Peri and I co-opted this recipe in the fall. I constructed mine with chicken, while she used tofu. Our feedback: While the original recipe calls for flour to coat the chicken, abide by more traditional tofu recommendations when making it with tofu by coating in cornstarch. The result is a crispier bite. While honey is objectively not vegan, my goal is not perfection. I’m not someone who thrives off of quitting cold turkey (no pun intended) and this is one example where I’m giving myself grace.