Where you read it first | Sunday, October 6, 2024

In the Crease: More NHL standings predictions

Edition four: Rangers, Flyers, Penguins and Capitals.

FIXED graphic for Zach Gerson's column "In The Crease"

Graphic by Richie Han Kyaw

Coming off a disappointing playoff exit last spring, the New York Rangers feel they can win it all this season, and rightfully so. Their well-balanced and talented roster starts in the net, where elite goaltender Igor Shesterkin resides and consistently dominates. Moving forward, New York’s defense is very strong, headlined by Adam Fox, who is dominant in both the offensive and defensive zone. The Blueshirts’ talent extends to their forward core, where elite forwards Artemi Panarin, Mika Zibanejad and Chris Kreider score and make plays on a nightly basis. The Rangers have talent all over their roster, and their only question mark is their ability to keep up — speed-wise — with the young and talented teams such as the New Jersey Devils. Either way, New York and their fans will enjoy the regular season.

Rangers prediction: Playoff berth (No. 3 in Metropolitan Division, 101 points)

The Philadelphia Flyers are at the beginning of a multi-year rebuild led by Keith Jones, the new president of hockey operations. During this rebuild, just as for any other rebuild, the club is looking to develop its young players and prospects with the aim of being competitive again in a few years. Apart from goaltender Carter Hart, the Flyers do not have any star-level players, although they do have some notable young, up-and-coming players such as Owen Tippett. Expect the Flyers to struggle in the standings as they execute their rebuild.

Flyers prediction: No playoff berth (No. 8 in Metropolitan Division, 68 points)

The Pittsburgh Penguins are in an extremely interesting position. One on hand, they are the oldest team in the NHL; however, on the other hand, they seem to be in all-in win-now mode, as evidenced by the acquisition of defenseman Eric Karlsson via trade from the San Jose Sharks. With the likes of superstar Sidney Crosby and stars Evgeni Malkin, Jake Guentzel and Kris Letang, the Penguins will not be a bad team. However, due to the club’s overall age and lack of depth, the Penguins will not be a great team either, therefore leaving them as a middle-ground bubble team. The Penguins will make a run for a playoff berth, but will not have enough to clinch a spot in the Eastern Conference playoff picture.

Penguins prediction: No playoff berth (No. 5 in Metropolitan Division, 91 points)

The general consensus on the Washington Capitals is that they will see a significant decline in success this season, and I would have to agree. Obviously, the Capitals still have one of the greatest goal-scorers in the history of hockey, Alex Ovechkin. However, apart from him, there is not much talent on this Washington team in either the forward or defensive cores. Dylan Strome and T.J. Oshie are solid players but are not suited to play in their current top-six roles. Therefore, the Capitals will not be in playoff contention by the time spring rolls around.

Capitals prediction: No playoff berth (No. 7 in Metropolitan Division, 78 points)