Where you read it first | Thursday, October 17, 2024

Deans Glaser, Lee: Investigation into admissions office finds no evidence of discrimination

bendetsonhall.jpg

Bendetson Hall, home of the Tufts admissions office, is pictured on Jan. 28.

Editor's Note: James Glaser, dean of the School of Arts and Sciences, and Kyongbum Lee, dean of the School of Engineering, have written an op-ed addressing the findings of the investigation, which can be found here.

An investigation into the Tufts admissions office has concluded and found no evidence of discrimination by Dean of Admissions JT Duck, according to a statement by James Glaser, dean of the School of Arts and Sciences, and Kyongbum Lee, dean of the School of Engineering.

“The investigators conducted a thorough review of an abundance of factual material corroborated by neutral witnesses and found no evidence of discrimination by Dean Duck,” the deans wrote in a statement to the Daily. “The investigation included interviews with 20 current and past employees, supporting the findings.”

The investigation’s conclusion comes months after nine current and former admissions employees described to the Daily a “toxic” workplace culture within the admissions office. Following employees’ complaints, the Office of Equal Opportunity hired a law firm, McCarter & English, to conduct an investigation into Duck and the admissions office.

The university declined to share the independent report itself with the Daily, citing the review’s confidentiality; but according to the deans, the conclusions drawn by the law firm were reviewed and affirmed by OEO who found “insufficient evidence of any policy violation.”

Duck embraced the outcome of the report in a statement to the Daily. 

“I welcome the determination by the outside investigators and the university that affirms the facts,” he wrote. “This review, which was rigorous and comprehensive, did not find evidence to substantiate the allegations against me and my office. I look forward to continuing to support the outstanding professionals in my office as we confront the demanding challenges of this admissions environment.”