Where you read it first | Saturday, September 14, 2024

Off the Gridiron: Hop Aboard the QB Carousel

SportsBanners-05

With the Lions trading Matthew Stafford to the Rams for Jared Goff and Carson Wentz heading to the Colts, the quarterback carousel is beginning to take shape. The Colts were always the ideal destination for Wentz, as the move would reunite him with head coach Frank Reich, the former Eagles offensive coordinator under whom Wentz had the most success. In exchange for Wentz, the Colts sent a third-round pick and a conditional second-rounder, a fair haul given Wentz’s terrible 2020 season.

This is a great trade for the Colts. In Wentz, they are getting a 28-year-old QB who has shown flashes of exceptionalism during his career. The Colts are gambling on the fact that a less porous offensive line, better weapons on offense and the trust of the coaching staff can revitalize Wentz’s career in Indianapolis and make them a legitimate contender in the crowded AFC. As for the Eagles, this was a trade they had to make. Ever since Nick Foles brought a Super Bowl to Philadelphia while Wentz was sidelined by injury, it has been all downhill. While there were miscues by both the Eagles and Wentz, it became clear that the relationship was irreparable. Given the capital they used to move up and select Wentz in 2016, the Eagles are likely disappointed in the return, but trading him means that Wentz is no longer an organizational distraction. The trade allows the Eagles to move forward with either Jalen Hurts or a quarterback they choose at number six in this year's draft.

Now that Stafford and Wentz are settling into their new teams, they put even more of a spotlight on the Deshaun Watson vs Houston Texans standoff. Between ex-head coach Bill O’Brien’s head-scratching trades and now Jack Easterby’s intervention in the search for a new general manager and head coach, the Texans have become an example of a completely dysfunctional organization. This has culminated in Watson requesting a trade, a request that the Texans have not shown any interest in honoring.

Watson’s primary suitors include the Panthers, Broncos, 49ers, Dolphins and Jets. While the Dolphins and Jets are the most realistic destinations for Watson due to their draft assets, I would love to see Watson go to the Panthers, Broncos or 49ers. The Panthers have emerged as a serious player for Watson, as owner David Tepper appears eager to find their franchise quarterback. Watson playing in a Joe Brady offense that features DJ Moore, Robby Anderson and Christian McCaffery would be tantalizing. Similarly, imagine how potent the 49ers would be if Kyle Shanahan got his hands on Watson. Or imagine Watson throwing dimes to Courtland Sutton, Jerry Jeudy and Noah Fant in Denver, competing against Patrick Mahomes and Justin Herbert in the AFC West for the next 10 years.

Despite how exciting these possibilities are, the Texans probably will not and honestly should not trade Watson away. It is extremely hard to find a franchise quarterback and the Texans have one in Watson, who I would argue is the second most valuable player in the league after Mahomes. The Texans’ fastest path to success involves repairing their relationship with their franchise quarterback and building the team around him, not without him. 

Assuming Watson stays put, there are still plenty of teams who are looking to upgrade at quarterback. Teams in a position to draft a quarterback include the Jaguars, Jets, Dolphins, Falcons, Eagles, Panthers, Broncos and Patriots. With Trevor Lawrence pretty much set to the Jaguars at number one, the rest of these teams will have to fight over Justin Fields, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance and Mac Jones. The Bears, Saints, Steelers and Washington Football Team also have uncertainty at the QB position. These teams will be forced to either roll with in-house options or look toward veteran options such as Sam Darnold, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Gardner Minshew or Cam Newton. However the dominoes fall, it is shaping up to be yet another fascinating QB carousel.