Where you read it first | Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Jordan Bean | Sacked

They are questions that are often asked in an interview situation. What are your three biggest strengths? What are your three biggest weaknesses? Self-awareness is a critical asset to have, as it allows people to grow and mature by identifying what qualities they need to work on.
    By this point you might be asking yourself, "How does this apply to sports?" Self-aware leagues evolve; those that don't are left behind. The National Football League is king because it has identified its market and has capitalized on it. Major League Baseball, on the other hand, has lagged behind, which shows in the sport's television ratings and overall support.
    The NFL has numerous strengths. The game is fast-paced, complex and entertaining. The sport has stars who can be marketed and are enjoyable to watch. However, everything isn't perfect. Like other leagues, the NFL is plagued with issues that it can't seem to shake. First and foremost is the perceived danger of the game, which starts in youth football and progresses through college and professional leagues as the players become stronger and faster.
    The NFL is actively working to eliminate this dangerous perception, instead of denying its existence. The league is commissioning studies that have, so far, shown favorable results, and is improving its concussion policies to show fans that it is taking the problem seriously.
    The biggest strength of baseball is that it prides itself on tradition. Players and managers of the past are revered and the game is meant to be played in a certain manner. Because of this reason, the MLB is reluctant to change. In fact, it took the organization until this year to have instant replay. In an age where a fan can see a replay with the correct call on his or her phone seconds after it happens, the league still refused to implement a way to correct a wrong call.
    It doesn't embrace players who could bring the game to the next level. Athletes such as YasielPuig and Bryce Harper are criticized by the media for their exuberance and confidence. They should be celebrated for their contributions to the game, but instead they are treated as if they don't belong.
    Furthermore, the games and seasons are too long. Only the most diehard of fans has the attention span to sit through an entire game, never mind a full season. People nowadays can't even watch a 30-second advertisement on YouTube, yet Major League Baseball expects that they have the patience to watch a pitch be delivered, followed by the 15-20 second process to get the ball back to the pitcher, return to the rubber, get the sign and deliver the next pitch. It's an unreasonable request to make of people, especially with the way the landscape of sports viewing and culture as a whole is shifting.
    By denying new-age owners such as Mark Cuban the opportunity to purchase a team, the MLB is, in a sense, denying the truth that is in front of it. He is the future of sports owners. He could and would invigorate the sport and bring some much needed enthusiasm, but Major League Baseball refuses to allow it. Billionaire investors are no longer content to sit in their suites, writing checks for the athletes. They want to be a hands-on, integral part of the team.
    Acting as if something doesn't exist doesn't mean that reality won't have to be faced eventually. The declines in television ratings, attendance and interest in the sport by minorities is chipping away at the popularity of the game. With self-awareness, these problems could be identified, attacked and overcome. Times are changing, and those who do not or will not change will be left behind. And to those people - you're sacked!

Jordan Bean is a sophomore majoring in economics and Spanish. He can be reached at Jordan.Bean@tufts.edu.