Where you read it first | Saturday, September 21, 2024

Interview: Maggie Q and Mekhi Phifer | ‘Divergent’ stars discuss preparing for their roles

Although Mekhi Phifer and Maggie Q are best known for their performances in TV series, the actresses can be seen on the big screen this month. Both star in the new film “Divergent,” based on the first book in Veronica Roth’s best-selling trilogy. Phifer, who has had roles on “ER” (1994-2009), “Lie to Me” (2009-2011) and “Torchwood” (2006-2011), and Q, of “Nikita” (2010-2013) fame, play, respectively, Max and Tori, members of the Dauntless faction in the dystopian film. The Daily participated in a college roundtable interview with Phifer and Q, in which they discussed the challenges of playing their roles, the adaptations made to the book and their experience filming.

The Tufts Daily: What specific experience or what past roles have really helped you guys with this film?

Mekhi Phifer: Well, I would think, you know, when you talk about a career and a body of work, I think they all help you to the next stage ... [In] each film you learn something new. You deal with a whole different multitude of people on each project. That’s one thing that I really love about the film and the television industry: you get to meet so [many] diverse people that you would normally never come across in life. And [learning] from each project helps you take it to the next level. I mean, you never really want to do a repeat performance of the same character, so you always try to find creative ways to make this particular character [different from another one].

Maggie Q: I played a mentor on my show, but I was the mentor [who] was willing and able and eager and my student ... was a little resistant to it. And this is the opposite. I’m the unwilling mentor, and she’s after me, you know, trying to get information. So, that was interesting — to sort of be the mentor that’s running from your student. Not that [my character] Tori runs from anything [necessarily], but it’s interesting because there’s really a lot to build on. And I think Mekhi and I, in [this first movie], both feel like we looked at the roles as a base to build from into the next [movie] ... and that’s what made it interesting for me.

TD: Do you guys know what’s ahead for your characters or are you taking it one script at a time?

MP: One script at a time.

MQ: Mekhi was saying earlier that you never know what the adaptations [are] going to be [like], so you really have to not get so married to the book. Because depending on how the film works out, some things may pop up, some things they may play down ... If we suck, they’re going to ... you know. [Laughter.]

TD: So would you say you were pleased with the adaptations compared to the book?

MQ: I would say yes.

MP: I think it’s a fun ride.

TD: Was it difficult to balance staying faithful to the book for the fans and also having that creative freedom?

MP: I think we have a certain amount of artistic license that you get when you do adaptations. Obviously, you can’t [keep] ... word for word [what the book says]. I mean you have to sort of tweak it a little bit. But I think ... people will be pleasantly surprised and pleased [with] the film adaptation — what our creative forces put together.

MQ: I think a good indication, too, is that Veronica is really happy. You know, she was on set a lot, and she was really supportive of the process. And a lot of times, when you’re reading a novel, it’s ... in your head [but] people don’t necessarily speak that way. It is different. That’s why adaptations are so important because you’re taking situations, scenarios and characters that, in a novel, are fine, but, in [a movie], it’s sort of not the way it goes.

TD: Do you have any inclination as to what faction you would identify with?

MP: Well, you know, as you saw in the film, [Dauntless] are more carefree, edgy, fun, no inhibitions kind of folk. You see them catching the train. You see them climbing up stuff. [You see them] running and jumping and [stopping], dropping and rolling. So, it just seems like that would definitely be more [fun]. If I had to choose a faction, then I think I would go with that.

MQ: I mean, yeah. It’s reckless, and when do we ever get to celebrate that part of our personality? We don’t. In [the] world [of “Divergent”], that celebration becomes its own faction, and they are a specific group of people who ... are the protectors. And so that recklessness has a place in this society.