Where you read it first | Saturday, October 5, 2024

'Divergent' does book justice with focused plot, strong cast

Dystopian young adult novels have risen in popularity among teenagers and adults alike. The genre depicts future worlds with flawed governments and complex characters. Film studios have begun to transition these novels onto the big screen, but, for devout fans, the movie's quality often does not equal that of the book. However, in "Divergent," the movie is just as good, if not better, than the book.

Set in what remains of a futuristic Chicago, society is divided into factions: Abnegation (selfless), Amity (peaceful), Erudite (intelligent), Candor (honest) and Dauntless (brave). Each faction has its own school, dress code and job. At sixteen, everyone takes a simulation test to discover which faction they identify with. At an event called the Choosing Ceremony each person is free to join any of the five - regardless of where that person grew up, or the test results.

Tris Prior (Shailene Woodley) and her brother Caleb (Ansel Elgort) are raised in Abnegation, but Tris does not feel she belongs there. This is confirmed when she receives her simulation results, conducted by Dauntless member Tori (Maggie Q). Her results are labeled "inconclusive:" she shows attributes of three factions, not just one. Tori explains that this ability, called Divergent, is rare and that Tris should keep it a secret because the Erudite faction sees it as a danger.

At the Choosing Ceremony, Tris shocks everyone: She chooses Dauntless, cutting herself off from Abnegation and her family. Though the freedom associated with Dauntless excites Tris, the initiation after the Choosing Ceremony involves a series of brutal challenges - run by Dauntless leaders Four (Theo James), Max (Mekhi Phifer) and Eric (Jai Courtney) - that aim to push her mind and body to the breaking point. Tris has successfully accomplish each to remain in Dauntless - all while keeping her Divergent status a secret.

"Divergent" also stars Miles Teller as Peter, a cruel Dauntless member willing to do anything to be ranked first among his fellow initiates. Kate Winslet plays Jeanine, the leader of the Erudite faction.

"Divergent" fans will notice details in the movie that differ from the book, but all changes made are used to streamline and narrow the focus of the plot. Because the bestseller itself is 500 pages, director Neil Burger worked with author Veronica Roth to cut out unnecessary and repetitive plot points found in the novel. There are a few big differences between the book and the movie, specifically penultimate scenarios. Yet the film's ending works as a compelling conclusion to this chapter of the series.

Woodley, best known for starring in "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" (2008-2013) and her supporting role in "The Descendants" (2011), has blossomed into a compelling actress, stealing the show in "Divergent." She deftly embodies the complexity of Tris and the character's growth in Dauntless. Although James also makes a strong appearance as Tris' love interest, Four, some of their initial interactions feel a bit forced. This progresses and, by the middle of the movie, their romantic connection is more convincing.

Woodley and James' costars, Teller and Winslet, are strong additions to the story. Teller adds humor to his character Peter, which is a refreshing change since, in the books, Peter has no redeeming qualities. Winslet, as always, is on point with her acting as Jeanine, whose role, though relatively minor in the book, was developed significantly for the movie.

Full of action sequences and romantic scenes, "Divergent" is fast-paced, keeping the audience's interest throughout the movie. It is impossible not to compare "Divergent" to Suzanne Collins' "The Hunger Games" trilogy, whose first two installments were already successful on the big screen. Though both are dystopian stories, "Divergent" focuses on the power of personal choice rather than survival.

Divergent is, at its core, a young adult story, and the film's certainly reflects this mainstream commercial appeal. However, despite its 150-minute runtime, the movie provides constant entertainment. The rest of the trilogy, "Insurgent" and "Allegiant," are in the works and should be released in 2015 and 2016. This first installment leaves room for improvement but also provides a strong platform for this movie trilogy to really take off.