Where you read it first | Thursday, October 17, 2024

The Artsy Jumbo | Freshman Josh Brown invests in campus music scene

An engineering student and a volunteer for the Leonard Carmichael Society, freshman Josh Brown is also the co-founder and drummer of an up-and-coming band on campus, Like Wolves.

Brown says the band started from a very casual hangout.

“[Some friends and I] reserved a room in Granoff one time,” he said. “We practiced and tried playing some songs and said, ‘This is kind of fun.’”

Ultimately, the friends decided to start a band, and, already, it’s clear from their rapid line-up of recent shows that these freshmen have chops.

While music was not a major part of Brown’s life in high school, he says Tufts has definitely changed his outlook: in addition to founding Like Wolves, he is considering a minor in music engineering. Brown also said that he hopes to continue playing in bands as a pastime once he graduates college.

Other Like Wolves members include freshman Andra Pan, who plays lead guitar; freshman Josh Insler, who plays rhythm guitar; freshman John Sirota, who plays keyboard and lead singers Paul Matthews and Hunter Howard, both freshmen. While Brown is reluctant to classify his band as part of one genre, he describes their sound as rock/alternative-based with ska and soul influences.

Although Like Woles is young, Brown has high hopes for its future.

“For now, it’s more just for fun, but we definitely want to try and play as many shows as possible,” he said. “Our ultimate goal would be to open for Spring Fling by the time we leave Tufts.”