Where you read it first | Monday, September 9, 2024

New chairs lead Parent Leadership Council

Jonathan and Nadine Fialkow were recently chosen as the new co-chairs of Tufts' Parents Leadership Council (PLC), a group of parents who operate under the university's Parents Giving Program and serve as representatives for families of undergraduate students.

According to Jonathan Fialkow, the two have been involved with the PLC since their son Zachary Fialkow matriculated at Tufts in 2011, and they were appointed this year just as their daughter, Alexandra Fialkow, began her freshman year. They inherited the roles of PLC co-chairs from Paul and Margie Stanzler, who held the position for five years.

"I have heard [the Stanzlers'] dedication was remarkable," Fialkow told the Daily in an email. "Last year, members of the PLC donated more than $2.5 million in contributions. This is directly due to the great staff of the Tufts Parents Giving Program with leadership by the Stanzlers."

As co-chairs, the Fialkows hope to continue setting an example for other parents in terms of encouraging active contributions to the student experience at Tufts.

"We consider ourselves ambassadors for Tufts at the parent level," Jonathon Fialkow said. "As co-chairs, we expect, through our passion and enthusiasm for Tufts and its programs and strategic plans, to be able to marshal the general good spirit amongst the parents towards achieving specific goals, financially and otherwise."

Specifically, Fialkow explained, he and his wife hope to improve fundraising efforts, engage more parents, increase awareness about opportunities for philanthropy and participate in discussions with Tufts leadership about fund distribution.

Fialkow expressed a desire for more parent input about potential future projects. He expects PLC discussions under his leadership with Tufts strategic planners to give a greater voice to parents in an organized manner.

"As someone who has great experience in committee chairmanships as well as listening to the thoughts of others and synthesizing a consensus plan, I would hope to challenge the parents to be more forthcoming in ideas and plans," he said. "Their insights into their child's experience at Tufts are of paramount importance to the university's success now and in the future."

Failkow added that he believed the complementary mix of his own experience and his wife's dedication to Tufts students will be particularly helpful in the PLC co-chair position.

"My wife is an extremely personable and kind woman who is ultimately dedicated to the well-being of our children," Fialkow said. "While I share those passions, I tend to push organization and results. Both would be needed to lead this committee as we all recognize that the parents' involvements are purely voluntary."

The Parents Leadership Council was founded in 1990 and formerly called the Parents Committee, according to Gina DeSalvo, director of the Parents Giving Program. The Tufts Giving website lists 45 parents as current PLC members for the 2013 to 2014 academic year.

"The PLC is a major part of the Parents Giving Program," DeSalvo told the Daily in an email. "As leadership donors, they help enhance and impact the student experience by inspiring and motivating others to make gifts to Tufts in support of our students."

DeSalvo stated that parents give approximately $2.5 million each year to the Parents Fund in the interest of maintaining standards of academic excellence for their children.

"Gifts to the Parents Fund support student research initiatives, faculty development, acquisitions for the university library, athletics, information technology, the purchase of scientific and technological equipment, renovation, financial aid and more," DeSalvo said. "Parents also support specific capital initiatives such as [the] endowment and building projects."

The Fialkows were first inspired by DeSalvo to become involved in the PLC.

"[DeSalvo's] enthusiasm and dedication to Tufts and giving was somewhat contagious," Fialkow said.

The couple spent their first two years on the PLC as active members. Beyond leadership philanthropy, they participated in strategic discussions with University President Anthony Monaco on the Tufts campus, facilitated a meeting between current Tufts parents and Dean of Undergraduate and Graduate Students John Barker, hosted Incoming Student Receptions at their home in Miami for incoming freshmen and their parents and executed Parent and Family Weekend activities.

Zachary Fialkow, a junior and vice president of the Zeta Beta Tau Fraternity chapter at Tufts, said he is excited to see what his parents will accomplish as PLC Co-Chairs.

"It's nice to be able to connect with my parents through common relations with the school as I become more and more involved in my own areas of Tufts," Fialkow said. "It will be interesting to see my parents work first-hand."