Where you read it first | Saturday, September 7, 2024

Women's Track and Field |Jumbos win Eric Loeschner Memorial meet

The Tufts women's track and field team traveled to Fitchburg State University on Saturday for the Eric Loeschner Memorial Meet, its final competition before the NESCAC Championship next weekend. The Jumbos finished first in the field of 15 teams, establishing itself one last time as a serious contender next weekend.  

The best event of the meet for the Jumbos was the hammer throw. Senior Kelly Allen won the event with a throw of 173 feet nine inches, and senior Ronke Oyekunle placed second with a throw of 165 feet 7 inches. Allen and Oyekunle were backed in the event by a fourth place finish from senior Sabienne Brutus, a sixth place finish from junior Robin Armstrong and a seventh place finish from sophomore Grace Demyan.  

The Jumbos also impressed on Saturday in the 1500-meter run. Tufts claimed four of the top six spots, with junior Laura Peterson placing first in a time of 4:51.95, and senior Lilly Fisher placing second with a time of 4:53.65.  

In the 400-meter dash, seniors Samantha Bissonnette and Alyssa Corrigan placed second and third, with times of 1:00.54 and 1:01.16, respectively.  

At one point, freshman Olivia Beltrani, leading the 3000-meter steeplechase, tumbled and fell into the water pit.  After getting back up, Beltrani continued on and managed to place second in the event with a time of 12:13.94.

"Up until my little swim, I was feeling strong and efficient with my barriers" Beltrani said. "I made my way to the surface, snorted to clear my breathing passages, and started to move forward. I realized that this kind of thing comes with running steeple, and it's all about the decision to move forward and be unfazed that really makes you stronger."

Freshmen Alexis Harrison and Marilyn Allen continued their stellar first seasons outdoors at Tufts. Harrison placed second in the 100-meter dash, finishing in 12.76 seconds, and Allen won the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 15.94 seconds.  

Both the 4x100-meter relay team and the 4x400-meter relay team placed first for the Jumbos, with times of 49.78 seconds and 4:10.44, respectively.  

This meet, the second victory in a team-scored meet this season, represents a high point for the team. With the NESCAC Championship less than a week away, a good team showing was more important than ever.

"Personally, this race showed me in what areas I need to improve for NESCAC's"  Beltrani said.  "As a group, the steeple-crew, just like the rest of the team, is really psyched to get out there and see the culmination of our work.  We are going to go out there with the sense of unity and determination that we've been working towards all season."

According to junior Laura Peterson, NESCACs are now the team's main focus as they hope to repeat their success from the Div III New England Indoor meet, which they won last February. The Jumbos are favorites heading into the weekend and hope to carry through the momentum from their victory on Saturday.

"We've already done most of our hardest workouts so now it's really important that we maintain our fitness and pay attention to everything we do off the track.  Ever since returning to practice in January, our team goal has been to win NESCACs," Peterson said. "There is definitely an expectation among our team that we will win the meet. For that to happen, though, it's going to take a full team effort."