Where you read it first | Wednesday, October 16, 2024

The Artsy Jumbo | Junior Hallie Gluk embraces technology and pure aesthetics

HallieGluk's visual artwork is quite distinctive: it is both innovative and so thoroughly embedded in her day-to-day life that she cannot separate her pieces for school from her more personal creations. She truly lives her art.

"It's funny to try and articulate something about my "work" because that would require me to make a distinction between pieces I make...with some specific intention, [and] day to day adornment or craft," Gluk, a junior majoring in International Letters and Visual Studies who is also in the combined degree program with the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, said.

Generally, Gluk's work generally has an antique, eclectic style to it.

"In trying to peg my aesthetic, I can say that I love antiquated ornamentations: [especially those from the] Byzantine, Classical and Persian [Empires]," she said. "This overlaps with [my] historical and personal interest in symbology."

She also emphasized the importance of technology as an influence in her work.

"The Internet...allows us to experience things in a...removed sort-of way," she said. "This opens up exciting potential to appropriate in a way [that is] both unfettered and conscientious. "

Gluk added that art has the power to make its own history instead of reflecting the meaning of events and objects. This is not a particularly unusual approach to art-making, but Gluk does embrace the purely visual components of her art more than most artists do.

"I'm afraid people shy away from strong aesthetics, or dismiss "visual" as a synonym for "shallow," when the visual holds so much power," Gluk said.