Where you read it first | Sunday, September 22, 2024

Once behind the judging table, now the judges

Bendetson Hall, Tufts University, Medford MA, 02155. It's an address burned into the mind of every aspiring Jumbo as they mail off their application materials and likely still, if they're lucky, when they arrive at the Hill and explore their new campus. From then on, it tends to serve as prime prospective student−spotting territory or a placeholder between West and Packard Halls.

For five Tufts graduates who have landed back on campus as employees of the Tufts Office of Undergraduate admissions, the address that determined their fate in higher education takes on a new significance — their place of work.

The alumni working as admissions officers graduated from Tufts with degrees in subjects ranging from Spanish to chemical engineering, and each is now tasked with the common goal of helping to find and encourage the next generation of Tufts students.

Admissions Counselor Meredith Reynolds (LA '11) said she has found the job a rewarding first career step following her graduation in May.

"It's a really fun … and really close office," Reynolds said. "There is a lot of trust. My supervisor puts a lot of trust in me to do my job and learn from it and make mistakes and that's OK. You don't find that in a lot of offices."

Reynolds, who graduated with a major in Spanish and a minor in communications and media studies, was heavily involved in admissions during her time as a Tufts student — she volunteered as a tour guide, worked as an intern in the office during her senior year and helped to organize and plan the April Open House for admitted students.

Reynolds' budding interest and experience in working in college admissions prompted her to apply for a position in the office post−graduation. Her responsibilities as a senior intern as a student have translated into some of her post−graduation duties, as she helps oversee the Student Outreach Program in addition to organizing the hiring and training of student volunteers, including tour guides, lunch hosts and greeters.

While Reynolds was active in the office during her time as an undergrad, this is not true of them all.

Naiara Souto (LA '10), another counselor in the undergraduate admissions office and a lifelong Somerville resident, was never involved with the outreach during her time at Tufts. She has, however, brought a year of post−grad admissions and counseling experience to her current position — after graduating with a degree in international relations from Tufts, Souto became a college admissions counselor at her high school alma matter, Somerville High School.

"Senior year I was going crazy looking for jobs," she said. "I applied to some things and I saw a job posting to be a college advisor with the National College Advising Corps … I knew that my high school would benefit from it," Souto said.

After spending a year at Somerville High, Souto applied for a job at Tufts, and now couldn't be happier in her current position, she said.

"Believe it or not, I enjoy reading applications. I love the staff. There is no tension and everybody always wants to have lunch together," she said. "Everyone is just really cool with each other and just really nice."

Souto, who is responsible for students applying from Rhode Island, parts of Connecticut and Massachusetts and most of southern Texas, is heavily involved in diversity recruitment, an aspect of her job that incorporates her interest in social equality and education.

Assistant Director of Admissions Matthew Alander (LA '08) majored in political science while at Tufts. Joining the admissions team in Bendetson was a bigger leap from his original plans than the others — after graduation, Alander's major, coupled with his interest in American politics and law, prompted him to apply for a position as a paralegal. After exploring this interest for almost a year, Alander came back to the Hill in the interest of pursuing the interest in admissions he showed as volunteer tour guide as an undergraduate.

Alander said he and his colleagues, regardless of position, fulfill many of the same tasks — including traveling and reading applications.

Their jobs tend to follow a cyclical schedule based on the timeline leading up to and following the undergraduate application process, he said, though each admissions officer has his or her own special niche or project. For example, Alander works with the Tufts Alumni Admissions Program.

"We use our alumni to not only staff college fairs for us around the country, [and] attend different yield events in the spring, but also a big part of their job is interviewing applicants for us. I help coordinate that process," Alander said. "I help recruit young alumni to the program.

Trevor Donadt (LA '10), who graduated from the School of Engineering, focuses his activities in the office on recruitment to prospective engineering students. Donadt said his plan to stick with his choice to stay at Tufts as an admissions counselor is a long−term commitment.

"I could see myself very happily staying in this job for a long time," he said. "It's such an awesome job. You get to meet some really awesome people — not only in this office, but the kids are so inspiring, just the things that they hope to do.

Donadt meets a wide range of students, as his jurisdiction ranges from territories in Idaho to Utah to New York. His colleague, Assistant Director of Admissions Daniel Grayson (LA '06), travels even farther to find the newest batch of Tufts students, covering India and various parts of Asia including Bangladesh, Singapore and Japan.

One thing that all of these officers share in common? The arsenal of knowledge and stories that comes with being a Tufts graduate.

"It's a huge help. It does give you an advantage… It's really easy to fall back on your own experience and the things you saw your friends do and being able to tell the stories of actually being here," Donadt said. "The first−hand account, I think, is a lot more captivating and believable."