Where you read it first | Sunday, September 22, 2024

Men's Basketball | Picking up where they left off

The men's basketball season kicks off on Friday and undeniably bears the highest expectations of any in recent history. After three years in the NESCAC cellar, Tufts broke out last season with a 13−12 record and the No. 5 seed in the conference tournament. And, though graduation left two massive leadership voids with the departure of Matt Galvin (A '11) and Sam Mason (E '11), the two combined for just 4.5 points per game last season.

It's safe to say the team has brought in — and developed — more than enough talent to compensate.

"We know we took some good steps last year, but were really focused on taking the next step," senior tri−captain James Long said. "We really want to form our own identity as a team this year. We know that that's not going to happen automatically. It's something we are going to have to go out and do ourselves."

"We are very excited," junior tri−captain Scott Anderson added. "We know in comparison to a lot of other teams in the league, we lost less and gained more in terms of the other top NESCAC teams' graduating classes and recruits. Everyone knows we have the potential to make big strides, but we haven't proven anything yet."

Anderson knows he will be looked on to repeat last season's campaign as the team's leading scorer, in tandem with senior tri−captain Amauris Quezada, junior Alex Goldfarb and senior Alex Orchowski. The quartet saw success in 2010−2011 with Quezada's quickness and Goldfarb's accuracy outside aiding Anderson's and Orchowski's physicality in the paint. They should continue to lead a widespread and balanced attack.

Orchowski, Anderson and Long will return as Tufts' top rebounders, while sophomore guards Oliver Cohen and Kwame Firempong will continue to lend their skills behind the ball.

However, all of the Jumbos will have to work a little harder for their spots this year after an intense offseason and the infusion of three hyped freshmen.

"I think one of our greatest strengths this year will be our depth," Long said. "That makes it necessary that on different nights people are going to have to accept different roles … everyone's going to get a chance and we all have to be ready for whenever that is because we're going to need big games from everyone this season."

The first freshman that will be expected to produce in big games is Vermont's reigning Mr. Basketball and Gatorade Player of the Year, Ben Ferris. At six−foot−two, Ferris is the tallest guard on Tufts' roster and will certainly look to use size to his advantage in his pursuit of playing time, though he should eventually develop into a much more diverse player.

C.J. Moss, a smaller incoming guard, is sure to give the field a run for its money, too. Though a talented shooter, Moss relies on effort in addition to his natural skills.

"The one thing [Tufts] will find out quickly is that he'll work harder than everyone else," Moss' former coach at the Taft School in Watertown, Conn., told the Daily in December.

The final addition to this year's roster is Kevin Rafferty, who brings something the Jumbos could really use: height.

Rafferty joins the team as the third six−foot−eight center alongside junior Matt Lanchantin and senior Peter Saba — though in the past the talent of the Jumbos' smaller forwards has kept the upperclassmen off the court.

Rafferty will look to bring back the center position to a Tufts squad that has lacked a big man underneath in recent years.

Tufts won its first season−opener in three years last season, and the team knows that a win at the Charlie Ryan Invitational on Friday and Thomas Tip−Off Tournament on Saturday at Thomas College in Waterville, Maine, will signal the start of another successful campaign. Two wins would mark the first time the Jumbos have started a season 2−0 in the NESCAC era.

"This weekend is huge," Long said. "Friday is what we're focused on. We want to come out and start the season on the right foot and execute the things we know we can do. And hopefully the win will take area of itself."

"This weekend we obviously want to win both games, but more importantly we want to be able to come together more as a team," Anderson added.

"We've only had 12 practices so far as a group, so we still have some ‘getting used to' to get out of the way with all the new guys. I think the easiest way to get rid of the kinks is to get a few wins."