Where you read it first | Saturday, September 21, 2024

Real Steel' crumples

As a rule, most films about giant, humanoid robots smashing each other to pieces are cheap, fun action flicks. "Real Steel" is no exception, despite director Shawn Levy's attempt to craft the film into something more meaningful. Unfortunately, his efforts only manage to detract from the film, creating something that is part action, drama, humor, thriller and melodrama, which is altogether utterly confused as to its own tone.

Set in a future in which regular boxing has been replaced by robot boxing, "Real Steel" tells the story of Charlie Kenton (Hugh Jackman), a has−been boxer down on his luck and trying to make a name for himself in this new sport. Paired with his confident and defiant son, Max (Dakota Goyo), the reluctant father makes his way through the robot−boxing underworld, learning what it means to be a parent while striving for the glory he's always wanted. Bailey Tallet (Evangeline Lilly), Charlie's long−time friend and love interest, supports the pair throughout their matches.

Charlie and Max's medium during battles is an old robot named Atom. Though Atom's written off as outdated, he seems to share the underdog team's determination. With Atom in tow, the Kentons start their journey, and the film plummets toward its all too predictable ending.

Jackman, handsome and charming as always, does his best with the material presented to him. He even manages to develop some measure of chemistry on screen with Goyo. Unfortunately, Goyo's performance, which calls to mind a young Anakin Skywalker from "Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace" (1999), squanders Jackman's talent. When the overconfident, seemingly mature child isn't dancing like Justin Bieber inside the boxing ring or needing his father to save him, he is screeching his dialogue and putting the audience in literal pain.

The film isn't aided by its slew of no−name actors either, especially since each is pumped with tacky dialogue. "Real Steel's" decent actors, such as Anthony Mackie or Kevin Durand, aren't utilized nearly enough, and Lilly is regrettably employed as strictly eye−candy.

The main issue with "Real Steel," however, is its lack of tonal direction. The film's soundtrack demonstrates this fairly well. The movie opens by panning over Midwest fields at dusk with alternative singer/songwriter Alexi Murdoch playing in the background. Three scenes later, Eminem is blasting while robots bash one another in seeming futility. Such haphazard transitions are devoid of any fluidity and are consequently rather unsettling.

The majority of the film progresses in this manner, shifting between moments of sentimentality, violence and weak humor without logical transitions. Furthermore, the dramatic moments are completely over emphasized, almost as if Levy doesn't realize the audience's intelligence. The biggest issue is that Atom, the only character ever in real danger, is a robot. Despite numerous hints that he might actually have emotions, at the end of the day, he's still just an expendable hunk of metal. Without any human repercussions, the scenes become exaggerated and melodramatic.

Some of the film's finer points mar its composition as well. This film is rife with ethnic stereotyping, mainly involving the Japanese and technology; this becomes highly offensive at times. Furthermore, the amount of product placement is obnoxious. Sprint, Bing, Xbox, Dr. Pepper, HP … it never stops! Perhaps Levy is trying to make a statement about consumerism in the future, but if he is, "Real Steel" isn't deep enough to accomplish that feat.

The film also manages to ignore almost every issue that one might actually be concerned about in the future — climate change, global conflicts and resource scarcity, to name a few. Instead, it depicts a world only concerned about the outcomes of robot−boxing matches. Though this film doesn't intend to predict how the earth will turn out in a decade or so — the exact year of the film's setting isn't stated — it could have benefited by touching on a few of these issues.

Despite its many faults, "Real Steel" does have a few golden moments. When Levy isn't trying to turn a simple, cheap and fun sci−fi action flick into a melodrama, the movie is actually amusing. The added enthusiasm of Jackman and Durand goes a long way, and frankly, the robot battles are entertaining. If you can see through "Real Steel's" confused tone and ignore its poor dialogue, you might actually enjoy it.