Where you read it first | Sunday, October 20, 2024

Tha Carter IV' fails to live up to predecessors

From the mid to late 2000s, Lil Wayne represented an unstoppable force in hip-hop music. He released an extraordinary amount of material, including many critically acclaimed mixtapes and the Grammy Award-winning "Tha Carter III" (2008). No other rapper seemed as hungry or as talented as Lil Wayne.

Unfortunately, Lil Wayne's music fell on the backburner in 2010, when he spent a year in jail for weapons and drugs charges. This forced hiatus placed an enormous amount of pressure and hype on the next installment of his hugely popular "Tha Carter" series. To his fans' disappointment, "Tha Carter IV" may not have been worth the wait.

The album opens with a short song, simply titled "Intro," which showcases — or intends to showcase — Lil Wayne's free- association rapping. While Wayne does make some decent puchlines in the song, such as "Hear no evil, see no evil/ Helen Keller," the track is not nearly as rapid-fire quick or as clever as his earlier material. Sadly, this lack of originality and punch carries through the rest of the album.

The lack of inspiration in this album is tangible in tracks like "Blunt Blowin" and "Megaman," which are packed with talk about weed, money, promiscuous ladies and other rap cliches. Without Wayne's trademark wit, wordplay and metaphors, listeners are left with tired topics and standard rap.

In Wayne's previous album and magnum opus, "Tha Carter III," his passion and vivacity drove his album far above his competitors'. In that album he yells, "I'm the best rapper alive" numerous times and seems genuinely determined to prove it. He is unafraid to address controversial issues like his outrage over the government's response to Hurricane Katrina. In that album's "Tie My Hands," Wayne uses a simple beat to let the lyrics come through, ingraining the track with his deep connection to New Orleans and pain over the tragedy. It's a song only Lil Wayne could have made and the depth and originality that set that track apart are largely absent in "Tha Carter IV."

After spending a year in prison, Wayne shouldn't be wanting for inspiration, either. Though his time behind bars could have offered him an opportunity to reflect further in his writing, Lil Wayne barely mentions his prison sentence. By sidestepping this major experience in his life, he also sidesteps the possibility of making a more fascinating and meaningful album.

Of course, "The Carter IV" is not entirely without redeeming qualities. One of the better songs on the album, "Nightmares of the Bottom," lends a glimpse into Wayne's mind as he raps about the difficulties of being at the top of the game and trying to stay there. The song has a simple yet catchy beat and an extremely relaxed flow. Some verses even reveal some doubts Wayne has about the life he has created for himself, like when he says, "I'm a gangster by choice/ Hope my sons choose wiser."

Surprisingly, the standout track on "Tha Carter IV" is more in line with the work of Wayne's protege, Drake. The R&B-infused ballad "How to Love" is Wayne at his smoothest and most mature. Wane mostly croons on this track, and his suaveness and a little audio processing combine forces to create a solid love song. The track is effortless and subtle, and shows a side that Wayne rarely shows. It's a risk, but it pays off big.

"Tha Carter IV" will not go down as Wayne's greatest accomplishment, but the album still has a few quality tracks, and it's worth a listen. After all, even when Wayne is off his rap game, he still hovers near the top.