Where you read it first | Sunday, September 22, 2024

Top Ten | Things James Franco Is Doing Right Now

James Franco is not only the busiest man in Hollywood, but the busiest man in the world. Every day the news brings us word of new Franco projects. From higher learning to acting high, the man does it all. As Tufts rallies to win a visit from Franco and the world premiere of his new film, "Your Highness," the Daily Arts Department would like to present the top ten things that James Franco is doing right now. Literally. As you read this.

10) Getting a master's in film at NYU: Maybe with the help of this degree, he can kick-start his film career.

9) Doing all these things with one arm: It's called method acting.

8) Dying in "Spider-Man 2" (2004) every time someone watches it: Well, technically it's Harry Osborn dying, but it's just as sad every time.

7) Racking up frequent flyer miles: How is it that those who can most afford to fly do it so much that they don't have to pay for it?

6) Getting a Ph.D. in English at Yale: Because how else can you do justice to all of the scripts you're writing and adapting? (Ahem ... "Blood Meridian.")

5) Having a drink named after him by New York bartenders: Demetrios Saites of the Hurricane Club invented a drink that includes caffeinated tea and chili peppers and uses a frozen rock in lieu of ice. Apparently this is James' essence.

4) Teaching "Master Class: Editing James Franco ... With James Franco" at Columbia College Hollywood: Being a graduate student at two different universities isn't enough — he also has to be on the other side of the desk, teaching the most egocentric course possible.

3) Never sleeping: Come on guys, James wasn't stoned at the Oscars. He was just sleepy.

2) Filming mom's play at Palo Alto Children's Theatre: And the footage of Betsy Franco's stage adaptation of her book "Metamorphosis: Junior Year" isn't just a home video — James is using it to create a documentary, which he plans to enter in a number of film festivals.

1) Rehearsing for "Oz: The Great and the Powerful": We're off to see the Franco, the wonderful James Franco in "Oz."

--

compiled by the Daily Arts Department