Where you read it first | Friday, October 25, 2024

What to do in Boston during the holiday season

For the average college student, the five weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas are not characterized by playing in the snow, baking cookies or attending holiday parties but rather by group projects, term papers and final exams.

With the stress of the semester coming to its climax, it's easy to forget about all the possibilities for fun and festivity that exist beyond the Hill. From the City of Boston's Official Tree Lighting to the Downtown Crossing Holiday Market, Boston and its surroundings offer an abundance of winter activities that act as the perfect procrastination opportunities for avoiding that one last paper.

Boston Common Tree Lighting 2010

Thursday, 6 to 8 p.m.

A Boston tradition not to be missed, the annual tree-lighting ceremony will take place this year on Thursday and will be led by Mayor Thomas Menino and the city's Parks and Recreation Department. The celebration will revolve around the lighting of Boston's 50-year-old, 50-foot white spruce — a gift given to the city on behalf of Gary and Roseann Meisner of Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, and selected by Ross Pentz of the Nova Scotia Department of Natural Resources. Nova Scotia's gift of a Christmas tree to Boston is a tradition that began 39 years ago in gratitude for Boston's aid to the Canadian province following the 1917 explosion of a munitions ship in the Halifax Harbor.

The mayor will also light 40 other surrounding trees and holiday decorations throughout Boston Common, as well as an additional 10 trees around the skating rink; that lighting is sponsored by The Skating Club of Boston. The holiday spectacular will feature an array of performers including the Radio City Rockettes, 2006 American Idol runner-up Katherine McPhee and popular R&B singer Patti Austin.

If the cold temperatures seem too much to bear, watch the festivities live from the comfort of your own dorm room on Channel 5.

Ice Skating

The winter months provide the perfect opportunity for Tufts students to lace up the old ice skates and channel his or her inner Michelle Kwan. Take the Red Line to Park Street to skate at the famous Boston Common Frog Pond. Head to the park with your student ID on Tuesday nights from 7 to 9 p.m. for Varsity College Nights, and get in for half price.

Senior Beth Doyle, a Cambridge native, has been ice skating at the Frog Pond for years. She said the experience is convenient, nostalgic and fun.

"I actually had a few birthday parties at the Frog Pond when I was younger. It's the perfect place for big groups of people," Doyle said. "There's something magical about skating in the middle of Boston. Especially around Christmas time — it's the perfect break from a day of shopping or a convenient activity to focus an evening around. They make it especially simple because you can rent skates right there."

"Skating at the Frog Pond is an easy and charming way to get in the Christmas spirit," she added.

If the overload of youngsters at the Frog Pond proves to be too much, hobnob with MIT students at the Kendall Square Community Ice Skating Rink. The rink is nestled in the center of the square and is situated in a landscaped courtyard.

Hot Chocolate

Get in touch with your inner 5-year-old with a warm cup of hot chocolate from L.A. Burdick Chocolate Shop and Café in Harvard Square. The establishment offers an impressive array of hot chocolates. Or skip the drink menu altogether and enjoy a chocolate tasting plate complete with caramels, ganache and more.

If Burdick's still leaves you hankering, head across the street to Crema Cafe for "Felipe's Hot Chocolate," a distinctly Mexican drink with hints of cinnamon and spices.

Hanukkah Celebrations

Celebrate the first night of Hanukkah tomorrow at Brookline's second annual Public Menorah Lighting sponsored by the Chai Center of Brookline. The festivities, which begin at 5 p.m., will include live music, donuts, latkes, dreidels and chocolate gelt. One lucky raffle winner will even walk away with a free iPod touch.

Rabbi Mayshe Schwartz of the Chai Center explained the importance of being able to light the menorah proudly and publicly.

"Hanukkah is a holiday which represents freedom of liberty and the opportunity to express and practice your religion," he told the Daily. "That was something that was attempted to be taken away back in the time of the Second Temple. Here in our country, in America, it allows and affords us the opportunity to do that. So what better way to do that than have a public menorah lighting?"

For a more social Hanukkah celebration, head to Jillian's (145 Ipswich St., Boston) at 7 p.m. on Monday for "Lights and Strikes," a Hanukkah party also sponsored by the Chai Center of Brookline. The gathering will include bowling, drinks and food, and the best bowlers of the night will win Celtics and Patriots tickets.

"It's more of a party for Jewish young adults in Boston," Schwartz said. "It's for young people who want to identify as Jewish and don't always have the opportunity to do that."

Downtown Crossing Holiday Market

Runs Nov. 27-Dec. 24

Mon. — Sat., 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Sun., Noon to 6 p.m.

No matter which holiday you are celebrating this season, the Downtown Crossing Holiday Market is a good place to buy holiday gifts that are a bit more creative than the standard DVD or video game.

The market has convened on Summer Street by Downtown Crossing for its second year and will include over 30 vendors, selling everything from jewelry to food items.

Kate Stillman, who represented Stillman's Farm at the market last year, found the event to be an incredibly effective way to promote her product.

"I get a lot of feedback from my customers, and everyone was really happy that it was one more add-on after the summer's farmer's market season had ended," she told the Daily. "I was always surprised by e-mail correspondents who wandered down there and who found us."

Stillman's Farm, which specializes in pasture-raised meats, will be expanding its business at the Holiday Market to include more holiday gifts.

"This year we have some gift certificates available, and we've processed a lot of our wool," she said. "We'll have some add-ons for people who are looking for gifts — something tangible for people to walk away with and mail to a family member."