Where you read it first | Friday, September 6, 2024

True Prep' reveals 'whole new old world'

In this region of the country, a specific subculture is bred to be classy, exclusive, intelligent and well-dressed. No, not Tufts students — although, yes, of course, Tufts students. Think more along the lines of boarding schools, plaid, polo shirts, popped collars, pearls, sailboats, tennis clubs and summering on Nantucket. I speak, of course, of the world of prep.

In 1980, Lisa Birnbach and a host of other writers chronicled her lifestyle in a book. In "The Official Preppy Handbook," Birnbach offered a tongue-in-cheek perspective on how to thrive in this New England-style culture.

This month, Birnbach released the sequel to her decades-old piece. "True Prep: It's a Whole New Old World," written in collaboration with graphic designer Chip Kidd, is a tell-all manual on how to live the old-school preppy lifestyle in today's constantly evolving society.

The style of the book is reminiscent of the popular blog Stuff White People Like, which pokes fun at different facets of "white" society, like farmers' markets, Frisbee sports and dinner parties, to name a few. Like the blog, Birnbach's book rings true while acknowledging the humor behind its claims.

"True Prep" reads less like a novel and more like a how-to guide. She addresses exactly how to fit into the preppy lifestyle, covering all sorts of issues like where to summer — Hyannis, Mass.; Oyster Bay, N.Y.; Jackson Hole, Wyo — how to dress  — Lacoste polos, Vineyard Vines belts, Burberry trenches — where to go to prep school — Roxbury Latin, Kent or Deerfield — careers to pursue — investment banking, interior decorating and non-profit work — and how to decorate — line the walls with books and the piano with photos.

Adhering to Birnbach's instructions will ensure admittance to her Prep Pantheon, a hall of fame for celebrity preps whom we should all strive to emulate. Notable members include Anderson Cooper, Meryl Streep, Conan O'Brien and both Barack and Michelle Obama. Their alma maters, accomplishments and avant-garde additions to the preppy community are detailed in encyclopedic fashion.

And where better to hold a release event for a book about being preppy than a tri-story Brooks Brothers store on Newbury Street?

"Brooks Brothers isn't about style. It's above style. It's a way to look great without attracting too much unwanted attention. Here you can start from scratch or just fill in," Birnbach said at the event. "Need a fresh new Tattersall shirt for an unexpected business appointment? Need to grab a tie for the opening of the Philharmonic tonight? No way you can make it home and back downtown in time — come to Brooks. If it was good enough for President Lincoln's inaugural coat, don't you think it's good enough for you?"

Amidst mannequins bedecked in cable-knit sweaters and strings of pearls, Birnbach and Kidd signed autographs and chatted with their clientele. Stacks of the book surrounded them on display tables, blending in perfectly with the surroundings with its yellow-and-blue striped jacket, replete with images of crests and golden retrievers.

"True Prep" has a clear target audience. It is designed and written for people familiar with the preppy world and capable of appreciating the humor in Birnbach's advice. People unfamiliar with her references and innuendos will see her work as snobby and elitist. However, for readers born and bred into the prep lifestyle, this book will likely ring close to home, and may even earn a prestigious spot in the book-lined walls of their summer home in the Hamptons.