Where you read it first | Friday, September 20, 2024

Visiting the Hill this week

MONDAY

"Brown Bag Lunch with alum Rebecca Plofker" Details: Rebecca Plofker (LA ‘05), creative and events director for Endeavor, a non−profit organization supporting medium−to−large sized enterprises in emerging markets around the globe, will speak with students.

When and Where: 12 p.m. to 1:10 p.m.;

Alumni House CMS Library

Sponsor: Communications and Media Studies

Program "Emulsion−based microfluidics for high−throughput biology" Details: Adam R. Abate from the Department of Physics at Harvard University will be discussing an emulsion−based microfluidic system that he developed.

When and Where: 10 a.m. to 11 am.;

Science and Technology Center Room 136

Sponsor: Department of Biomedical Engineering

WEDNESDAY

"A New Politics of Consumption" Details: Cyrus Schayegh, assistant professor of modern Middle Eastern history at Princeton University, will discuss dams, electricity and the Cold War in Post−Musaddiq Iran.

When and Where: 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.;

Mugar 129

Sponsor: The Fares Lecture Series

"Introduction to Vital Electronics: The Key to Building Affordable Trustworthy Embedded Systems" Details: Professor Andrzej Rucinski and Dr. Thaddeus P. Kochanski, of Vital Electronics Institute, will discuss vital electronics.

When and Where: 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.;

200 Boston Ave, Suite 2600

Sponsor: Department of Electrical Engineering

"How to Escape from a Leper Colony" Details: Tiphanie Yanique (LA ‘00), assistant professor of creative writing and Caribbean literature at Drew University, will read from her book of short stories "How to Escape from a Leper Colony" (2010).

When and Where: 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.;

Capen House

Sponsors: Department of English, Africana Center, Africa in the New World Program, Peace & Justice Studies Program

THURSDAY

"Considering Copenhagen: Rethinking Climate Policy" Details: A four−person panel will discuss the results of the negotiations in Copenhagen. The panel will include Timothy E. Wirth, president of the United Nations Foundation; Adrian Fernandez Bremauntz, president of the Instituto Nacional de Ecología; Jim Watson, director of Sussex Energy Group and co−leader of Tyndall Centre Climate and Energy Programme; and Dan Reifsnyder, deputy assistant secretary of state for environment and sustainable development.

When and Where: 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.;

Ballou Hall Coolidge Room

Sponsor: Center for International Environment and Resource Policy

"Mechanical Engineering Seminar Series" Details: Metin Sitti, associate professor at Carnegie Mellon University, will present on "Miniature Mobile Robots Down to Micron Scale."

When and Where: 3 p.m. to 4:15 p.m.;

Anderson Hall Nelson Auditorium

Sponsor: Department of Mechanical Engineering

FRIDAY

"Let's Talk About Race: Social Justice 201 Workshop" Details: Amy Albert, conciliation specialist at the U.S. Department of Justice Community Relations Service, will discuss conflict mediation concerning issues of race and ethnicity.

When and Where: 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.;

Metcalf Hall Lounge

Sponsors: Africana Center, Asian American Center, International Center, Latino Center, LGBT Center, Office for Campus Life, Women's Center

"Barack Obama and American Democracy" Details: Speakers and scholars including Professor Patrick Sylvain from Brown University, Professor John Stauffer from Harvard University and Matthew Whitaker from Arizona State University will critically analyze President Barack Obama's first year in office.

When and Where: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.;

Center for the Humanities at Tufts

Sponsor: Provost's Office

--

compiled by Brent Yarnell