Where you read it first | Friday, September 20, 2024

Emily Maretsky | Nice Shoes, Let's Date

There comes a time in every student's college career when they stop, drop their textbooks or Solo cup and realize that the end is near. Recently, I was walking home from my senior dinner, that Tufts tradition that's always seemed so far in the future, when the truth hit like a punch in my (very full) gut. "Whoa, we're not going to be here much longer," I thought.

This realization frequently accompanies a wave of nostalgia and is followed by a play-hard, "live for the moment" attitude, aka senioritis.

For some, being a senior means hunkering down in the library to hammer out a thesis or finish up that natural science requirement they've been putting off for three and a half years. But just as frequently, senior year is associated with the "senior slide" and letting your hair down (in between writing cover letters), because we're never going to be in college again.

Senioritis seems to be an affliction that affects us upperclassmen in more than just apathy toward schoolwork — it shapes our attitudes toward taking other things less seriously too, especially dating.   

Think about that couple you know who has been dating since freshman year, only to recently break up to experience those so-called single adventures. Or, try getting involved with someone new when the g-word looms right around the corner, hanging over your head.

Regardless of whether you're interested in an "Animal House"-esque experience in college, you've probably seen the 1978 movie and feel like you can't graduate without a few wild adventures under your graduation cap. I know a few friends who are in serious relationships and wondering if they need to catch up on "the college experience" by having a crazy random hookup or two.

It's also getting to the point where single seniors start to wonder if it's worth jumping into a relationship with someone new. I know on a recent first date, I couldn't help but wonder, "Is this really worth getting invested in?" It's tough enough for long-term couples to figure out their plans or deal with breaking up at graduation — why would you choose to get attached to someone new and have to deal with that? There's no worse attitude to kick off a date with, but subconsciously, you almost can't help but think about it.

While timing is a factor in almost all relationships, I like to think that it wouldn't simply preclude a relationship or fling-potential. Long-term couples who are meant to be won't be tempted to break up just to see what they're "missing out on" and that the rest of us are open to giving the "right" person a shot … right?

There's something to say about relationships (in the most general sense) that have an approaching expiration date, too. After having a crush on one guy for a few months last school year, the spark finally ignited —two weeks before the end of the semester. It was tough knowing that we were about to leave for the summer, but thrilling that we just had to take advantage of what little time we did have.

On the other hand, one of my housemates came back from his own senior dinner the other night, grinning, and detailed how an alum told a story about how he took a chance and went on a first date with a woman during senior week before he graduated. Sounds a little crazy, but it was a good example about not playing into expectations — they ended up getting married a few years later.

Treat senioritis as an exercise in living in the present; do what you truly want to do, don't feel like you need to conform to expectations, appreciate the people you already have around you and be open to new possibilities (everyone knows they make the best stories anyway).

--

Emily Maretsky is a senior majoring in engineering psychology. She can be reached at Emily.Maretsky@tufts.edu.