Where you read it first | Friday, September 20, 2024

Massachusetts aims to ban drivers from texting

The Massachusetts House of Representatives on Feb. 4 approved a bill banning text messaging while driving and requiring drivers to use hands-free cell phone devices.

The bill further eliminates the use of all cell phones while driving for individuals under 18 and institutes a mandatory vision test for drivers over 75, who must renew their licenses every five years.

The bill, which passed 146 to nine, must be approved in the state Senate before it is put into effect. If passed, it would add Massachusetts to the ranks of the 19 other states that already prohibit sending text messages while driving and the six states that ban drivers' use of handheld cell phones.

David Procopio, a spokesperson for the Massachusetts State Police, said that distracted drivers are often the cause of road accidents.

"The state police is very concerned about all types of distracted driving," Procopio told the Daily. "We see numerous accidents and crashes that are caused by drivers not paying attention to the road."

Massachusetts State Rep. Carl Sciortino (LA '00) said that while some representatives believe that giving the government control of cell phone use in the car is an encroachment upon civil liberties, the risk such usage poses to public health takes precedence.

"I disagree with that argument strongly," Sciortino (D-Medford/Somerville) told the Daily. "When you are on a public road and you are endangering other people with your behavior, it is something that the state needs to deal with and has a responsibility to deal with."

Although he could not comment on the merits of this specific bill, Procopio said that the state police supports policies that improve public safety.

"Very generally speaking, we support anything that policymakers believe will help reduce distracted driving," he said.

Sciortino said he expects the Senate to vote on the bill during this year's session, which ends in July.

A similar bill was presented in the House two years ago but failed to pass in the Senate. Sciortino is more hopeful about the future of this bill since spokespeople for State Senate President Therese Murray (D-Plymouth/Barnstable) have announced her support for it.

"It's looking very promising," he said.

Sciortino explained that the original version of the bill was limited to issues concerning text messaging while driving and elderly drivers. Representatives later amended the bill to ban all use of any hand-held cell phones while driving.

If the bill passes in the Senate, the state will institute an educational campaign to ensure that drivers are aware of the new law, which imposes a fine of $100 for a first offense, $250 for a second and $500 for all following offenses, according to Sciortino.

"I think the state has a responsibility to educate people about the dangers of using a cell phone and educate them that the law is going into effect," he said. "It's important to make sure we get the word out."

Procopio said that the state police currently runs educational programs for high school students about the dangers of drunk or distracted driving. He added that one aspect of the program replicates the experience of driving while text messaging.

"It's a way to teach young people that there really is no way to drive safely while you're texting somebody," he said. "The kids almost always end up crashing."

Procopio said that many young drivers feel invincible and fail to take the dangers of driving seriously. "One of the things we try to do is shatter that attitude," he said.

"Some kids do get the message, but there will always be segments of any population that will be tougher to reach than others," he said. "We just keep working on it."

Tufts University Police Department (TUPD) Sgt. Robert McCarthy said the university receives complaints from people who nearly got into accidents because of another driver's text messaging.

He added that young drivers are not the only culprits; he has seen adults in their early thirties text and drive as well.

"In general, I see it a lot … I wouldn't say it's just college students," McCarthy said.