Where you read it first | Sunday, September 22, 2024

Dear John' tells tragic tale of young love and war

A soldier in the U.S. Army has certain responsibilities: a duty to his or her country, a commitment to a squad, a mission in a battle. But sometimes love becomes the real battle and the only thing worth fighting for. This question of a soldier choosing between his country and his woman is at the heart of "Dear John."

Based on the 2006 book of the same name by best-selling author Nicholas Sparks, "Dear John" is the love story of Savannah (Amanda Seyfried), an idealistic, religious college student, and John (Channing Tatum), a rebellious soldier. The two seemingly opposite adolescents take part in a whirlwind, two-week romance in South Carolina during the overlap of John's leave and Savannah's spring break. Their love is tested when John returns to the army to finish his tour.

The lovers attempt to remain close despite the distance by writing a series of love letters to one another. Sharing intimate details and promises of life after the army, John and Savannah desperately cling to their love and the past they share. But when the World Trade Center collapses and talk of a war in Iraq follows, John must make the difficult choice between being with the person he loves and fulfilling his responsibility as a soldier.

Lasse Hallström ("Choco-lat," 2000) directs this tear-jerking romantic drama starring Tatum and Seyfried, and featuring a cameo performance by veteran actor Richard Jenkins as John's father. A true and honest portrayal of what it means to live with heartache, "Dear John" delivers a typical, yet satisfying romance against the backdrop of the Iraq War.

Sparks, author of such notable novels-turned-chick-flicks as "The Notebook" (2004) and "A Walk to Remember" (2002), is the true mastermind behind this movie. Romantic films have a formula for success that Sparks has perfected. Fans won't be disappointed by the innocent, adolescent love, the conflict that emotionally and physically separates the lovers or the tragic climax that ultimately tests the couple's love for one another.

Sparks' fans will no doubt be pleased to find almost no differences between the book and the movie. The character development is extensive thanks to the book, which acts as an extra resource for the writers and actors.

Unfortunately, the film is unable to sustain a connection between the two separated characters, a literary feat for which the novel received much praise. The movie also adds several scenes to try to make up for this weakness, including a cliffhanger of an ending.

Although there are distinct similarities between this movie and others of Sparks' creation, "Dear John" has the ominous theme of war that adds a new feel. The film's poignancy lies not only in the lovers' unfortunate timing, but also in the audience's fear for John's safety during his tour of duty. This is a typical wartime love story, so the darker subject matter and the intricate, surprising plot line make a significant impression.

The film stirs an emotional response within the viewer, but it isn't overdone. Seyfried and Tatum's characters highlight the theme of love's ability to endure. Their performances emphasize the connection between the war and the conflict between the two lovers, creating a tension that propels the film forward.   

The relevance of the movie today should be readily apparent, with the pain of the Iraq war ongoing and fresh in audiences' minds. By casting an innocent young couple as the protagonists and setting the story close to the present day, "Dear John" successfully calls attention to the impact of war in a way that is more relatable than most romantic war dramas.

Despite the passionate lead portrayals and interesting plot twists, "Dear John" still has a been-there, done-that quality to it. Although it is emotionally satisfying, it fails to live up to romantic stories like "Titanic" (1997) or war-driven dramas, such as "Atonement" (2007). It does stress the power of choice in the context of love and responsibility, as well as the classic theme of love triumphing over all.