Where you read it first | Saturday, October 5, 2024

Strong cast and action scenes make 'Human Target' enjoyable

In the more carefree days of the '70s and '80s, when network TV was not yet being bludgeoned to death by the Internet, action series like 'Charlie's Angels' (1976'minus;1981) and 'The A'minus;Team' (1983'minus;1987) followed preternaturally skilled heroes who kept it lighthearted and always somehow saved the day. In the graphic'minus;novel inspired new series 'Human Target,' Fox spiritedly hearkens back to the good old days of comedic action.

Mark Valley stars as Christopher Chance, a multi'minus;talented bodyguard'minus;for'minus;hire. In the first two episodes, Chance is required to shoot guns, engage in martial arts, fly a plane and speak Japanese; Valley does it all with an infectious sort of confidence and palatable charm. Valley's square jaw, blond hair, blue eyes and real'minus;life military background make him a perfect fit for Chance, and an even more ideal choice for a live'minus;action Captain America.

Chance's team consists of Winston (Chi McBride) and Guerrero (Jackie Earle Haley), whose talents aren't entirely clear, presumably so the writers can shoehorn them in where they're needed. McBride, who has starred in shows ranging from 'Boston Public' (2000'minus;2004) to 'Pushing Daisies' (2007'minus;2009) and is always a welcome television presence, acts as the gruff and disdainful voice of reason. Though Guerrero is more soft'minus;spoken and upbeat than Rorschach of 'Watchmen' (2009), Haley's last major role, the former child actor adds an effective undercurrent of menace to his reformed criminal character.

The show's concept is drawn from the eponymous comic book series, created by Len Wein and Carmine Infantino. Chance in the comics employed a complicated series of disguises so that he could go undercover as his client in order to protect them. The change made for the television adaptation - in which Chance merely protects his charge as an anonymous bystander, only stepping in when necessary - is understandable, especially considering the physically ideal lead the producers found in Valley.

In the spirit of retro action series - a motif that even extends to the orchestral score and kicky opening credits - Chance is hired each episode by a new client who has been threatened and requires an unorthodox kind of protection. Chance's M.O. is to identify the threat and take him or her out by whatever means necessary.

The action scenes in the first two episodes are intensified by their respective locations: a runaway train and a crashing airplane. In particular, the airborne climax of the second episode is heart'minus;pounding and fun, culminating in a fistfight between Chance and the plane's saboteur inside the wheel well of the plane, all while the plane is being flipped over and the landing gear door is open.

Though 'Human Target' has yet to do more than allude to the back stories of its main characters, the show can be exciting enough to excuse its formulaic nature. It remains to be seen whether the adrenaline can stay high when the writers run out of thrilling set pieces and Chance inevitably has to stop an assassination attempt in a Starbucks.

Still, there's a good deal of fun to be had in 'Human Target.' Each episode functions as a kind of whodunit, as Chance searches for the mysterious threat. The show is most definitely fluff, but at least it's quality fluff. That quality can be primarily attributed to Valley, McBride and Haley, all very talented actors with excellent chemistry. If the central trio can spend more time together, working as a team and engaging in quippy banter, then weak or drab A'minus;plots can mostly likely be forgiven.

As in the recession of the late '70s, shows like 'Human Target' serve as an excellent diversion. They give insight into a world where some people - working unbeknownst to the rest of us - always possess the appropriate skills, make the right decisions and save the day with a roguish smirk on their faces.