Where you read it first | Thursday, September 19, 2024

Tufts celebrates Black Solidarity Day

Tufts students and faculty gathered yesterday morning at the campus center's lower patio to celebrate Black Solidarity Day, an annual day of reflection that aims to unite the African American community around a set of goals.

"Let's make today the day when we get involved, honor our purpose [and] revive black solidarity on this campus," junior Matthew Kincaid said in a student address during the two-hour event. "The only way we will ever truly have black solidarity is if we come together."

Each year, on the Monday before the elections, members of the black community abstain from purchasing goods and attending classes as a way to emphasize the collective economic power and presence of African Americans.

First celebrated in 1969, Black Solidarity Day grew from a need to show the influence of the black community in America. Its proponents call it a cohesive, peaceful form of opposition to social, political and economic injustices in American society.

Although the significance of the event has changed over the years, its fundamental principles of uniting the people of the African Diaspora remain strong.

"Solidarity means unity, togetherness, oneness," said sophomore Kristen Johnson, the president of the Pan-African Alliance. "[It is] really about bringing all these people together because we're all from the same heritage."

The theme of Tufts' celebration this year —"Revitalize, Educate, Celebrate and Empower" — emphasized the importance of working with those outside of the black community for the advancement of America as a whole. The program included a performance by the all-female step team ENVY, student reflections and a moment of silence.

Professor of History Peniel Joseph delivered the event's keynote address, entitled, "From Black Power to Barack Obama." Joseph highlighted the role of the black power movement, which is often stereotyped as violent and extreme, in creating racial change in America.

"Black solidarity is an outgrowth of the black power movement, the universal call for the transformation of all kinds of economic [and] social repression in America," Joseph said.

It is because of the black power movement, according to Joseph, that institutions like black studies departments and Tufts' Africana Center exist at universities today.

Joseph emphasized that while the election of Obama was a momentous event in American history, the black [community's unity] cannot be expected to dissolve. "Just because we have a black president doesn't mean we can stop black solidarity," Joseph said. "It's not the end of black politics; it's the evolution of black politics."

But Johnson added that the realization of black solidarity cannot be achieved without the involvement of other communities.

"All the speeches [at the event] are about empowering the community and everybody at Tufts celebrating Black Solidarity Day," Johnson said. "The campus has to be with us as well. It is a day to challenge the community and reenergize the notion of black solidarity."

Sophomore Marie Murphy, the Pan-African Alliance's community representative to the Tufts Community Union Senate, agreed with Johnson, adding that the support of other communities has been invaluable in the progress of the black community.

"The black people in this country could not have come to where they are now without the help of other communities," Murphy said. "[Black Solidarity Day is] more about solidarity between different communities and how we support each other to grow and prosper."

A distinguishing feature of this year's Black Solidarity Day, according to Johnson, was Joseph's presence. The history department had lacked a black voice since the death of Professor Gerald Gill in 2007.

"We've gone two years without having a black history professor, so it is really monumental to have [Joseph] here," Johnson said. "He is the new generation of black studies at Tufts."