Where you read it first | Thursday, September 26, 2024

Napoleon Dynamite' writer/director dishes on newest comedy flick

Jared Hess, co-writer and director of oddball comedies "Napoleon Dynamite" (2004) and "Nacho Libre" (2006), crafts movies of striking originality. His latest film, "Gentlemen Broncos" (2009), is an offbeat story about plagiarism that includes a sci-fi subplot, awkward romances and even more awkward bodily malfunctions. The Daily had a chance to sit down with Hess to hear his thoughts about the film as well as some hilarious behind-the-scene secrets.

Question: So your first film, "Napoleon Dynamite," was a completely love-it-or-hate-it kind of movie. But at the "Gentlemen Broncos" screening last night, the audience was in stitches for a good portion of the evening. What do you think made this film so accessible compared to "Napoleon?"

Jared Hess: I think a lot of it had to do with the main character. With Napoleon, a lot of people could not relate to him on any level and just thought that he was this obnoxious teenager. But with this film, I think the main character is maybe the most normal character ... and he's surrounded by a lot of really strange personalities and people. I think people could identify with him more and therefore it allowed them to laugh at things a little bit more.

Q: Was that accessibility something you considered during your filming, or did it just work out that way?

JH: Yeah, you know, we don't really think of it like who we're going to be alienating. When my wife and I are writing, we try to create something that she and I have always wanted to see before on-screen, and you kind of cross your fingers and hope that there are people out there like you. And "Napoleon" shows that there were, which is great. So "Broncos" was the next installment.

Q: The film had a lot of gross-out body humor, but I think that the one scene that made the entire audience recoil was when the snake defecated all over Dusty's (Mike White) shoulder — what was that and how did you do that?

JH: That's based off of something that happened to me when I was a Boy Scout. I was in Scout Camp one year, and my buddy had gone into the woods and caught a black rat snake. He was showing it off like, "Check it out, this thing is sweet, it's my new pet, so sweet!" And it crapped all over his Scout shirt, and up to that point I didn't even know that snakes pooped. I just thought that they kind of absorbed it, regurgitated the bones and fur. But a lot of people were like, "Was that real? Did that happen, and you weren't expecting it?" But no, it was a little hose hooked up to an air compressor that shot out beef stew and applesauce. It was sick.

Q: I was excited to see Jemaine Clement in this movie. A lot of critics are referring to him as the breakout character of the film. Do you think that's valid?

JH: Yeah, well, he's so funny. He plays such a genuinely believable bad science fiction author, you know? You just buy it. He's really funny. I love the cast as a whole, but I definitely think his star is rising, that Jemaine Clement.

Q: Oh, and who came up with Chevalier's (Jemaine Clement) trademark wrist-bowing gesture?

JH: You know, it's funny, our gaffer was telling us while we were shooting, "Yeah, dude, there's this really cool old ‘Star Trek' episode where the people greet each other doing that," and I was like, "That's a great idea. We should have Chevalier do that." So it was our gaffer's idea. It's fun when those little moments pop up on set.

Q: So you said [at the Q&A at the screening last night] that a lot of Judith's (Jennifer Coolidge) character in the movie was based on your own mother, and she asked you to sell her popcorn balls just like Ben (Michael Angarano) did in the film. Did she make you a cool sweatshirt for the occasion like his?

JH: No. Well, she made me some really long shorts that were mid-calf. They weren't very well constructed because within seconds of putting them on I'd have a ten-inch hole in my crotch. It's tough to wear that at recess. It's uncomfortable.

Q: Does it ever stress you out having to live up to "Napoleon Dynamite?"

JH: I guess I never really thought about it like that. I mean, I don't think anybody really has great expectations for their first film; they mostly just hope it leads to other things and opens doors for them. So when it kind of became a monster all on its own, it was so much fun. It was kind of a dream come true for everybody involved. But yeah, you just kind of need to continually do the things that you're passionate about, and that inspires you, and not change who you are for the money, you know what I mean? If you stay true to your art and the things that you're interested in, I think that's the most important thing to retain as you move forward.

Q: So how much of this film was you and how much was Jerusha?

JH: By the time we're done writing the script, we never know who's responsible for what, because we write it together. We get a laptop out and we take turns typing and coming up with ideas. It's a very organic experience.

Q: Which one of you came up with the title for Benjamin's story, "Yeast Lords: The Bronco Years?"

JH: That we kind of came up with together, although her grandmother — who's like 90 — she's a very holistic woman, has a big garden and eats weird stuff. She's a big fan of brewer's yeast and the vitamins in it help your brain, and so she eats, like, yeast. It's sick. So I would have to give that one to her. It's all her.

Q: Was the character of Lonnie Donaho (Héctor Jiménez) based on anybody you knew?

JH: Yeah, he's kind of a combination of a few different people. But when I lived in Kansas growing up there was this kid who made a lot of soap opera-like thrillers. One day he called me up and was like, "Hey Jared, I'm shooting my next thriller this Saturday, we would like you to be the lead actor. We are in desperate need of a lead. Could you please bring some pajamas? There will be a bedroom scene." I was like, "Uh, I don't know if I'm allowed." I didn't go.

Q: I think that was a wise call on your part.

JH: They were very tame. They were what soap operas are. But still, very awkward.

Q: Right now, Jerusha's working on a romantic comedy that she wrote herself, so what's next for you?

JH: I've got some stuff in the mix. Probably too early to talk about, but yeah. Dude, I'd better get to work.