Where you read it first | Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Engineering psychology and the Rape Steps

Since I entered Tufts University two years ago, the Rape Steps behind Wren Hall have continuously puzzled me. Admissions officers say that the steps were designed for women, and the theory goes that a woman should be able to climb the steps faster than a male attacker. Even as a female, I don't understand how these awkwardly long yet short steps are supposed to rescue me from impending doom. I guess that feminine stride ain't no stride-o-mine.

This struggle is common; tools that are supposedly built to aid humans actually make them feel incompetent and dumb. Examples include indiscernible computer interfaces, door handles, telephones and car radios to name a few. But for all you awkward stair-climbers and door-users, fear not, for it is World Usability Day and thou shall not feel stupid anymore.

Usability refers to the ease with which people make any tool or gadget carry out its primary function, from completing a task like navigating a Web site to using an ATM. It refers to how easy it is to set your alarm clock or change the radio station in your car. A user's experience with a tool should not be arbitrary or neglected since all tools are ultimately made to benefit humans. Engineering psychologists use their insights from human psychology to design user-friendly tools. Also referred to as human factors specialists, engineering psychologists consider a human's interaction with a tool — the human factor in task accomplishment.

The whole subject may seem very technical and vague, but its applications are everywhere (except for the Rape Steps) as the subject integrates virtually all disciplines. A prime example is Google.com, which is renowned for its uncluttered homepage, organized query results and overall clarity. The company's Web site design is no accident; Google spent a great amount of time considering what people want in a search engine and how its site could complement the innate senses and perceptions of its human users.

One such topic that is pertinent to engineering psychology is health care and medical devices. IDEO, a design consulting firm, recently designed a self-administered vaccine patch. The patch can be applied to the arm and will administer a vaccination without the use of needles. The patch can be mailed anywhere in the world and therefore has the potential to save thousands from disease, especially those in areas with limited medical access. This product exemplifies human factors because it considers human need and is designed to accommodate the situational constraints that these vaccine users have.

Engineering psychologists consider not only common user issues, but also usability issues for those with disabilities. One such example of this is the Eyegaze Edge designed by LC Technologies, Inc. The Eyegaze Edge is a computer that tracks deliberate patterns of blinking and eye movements and translates them into typed language. The computer can also turn simple electronic devices like televisions and lights on or off by coding the user's eye movements. This innovative and thoughtful design allows people who are paralyzed to communicate with others and complete simple, everyday tasks. This product and many other assistive technologies, along with user-centered design, can change the lives of people with handicaps.

Another elemental example of helpful design is the Reach toothbrush, which was invented right here on Tufts campus by a human factors professor. The toothbrush was innovative for its flexible head and brush and, when it was first created, it was the one of the best toothbrushes on the market. Who knew that such inventions originated right here in Medford/Somerville?

Tufts was the first school in the country to have an Engineering Psychology program; the degree can be completed either through the School of Engineering or the School of Arts and Sciences. Students study research methods, psychological considerations, problem solving methods and design practices. The Human Factors and Ergonomics Society is a pre-professional society that addresses topics in usability and takes trips to design labs and consultancies. Graduates have found jobs in multiple fields, from computer programming to product design and marketing.

The implications of engineering psychology are huge. Instances of user frustration abound, and there could be many improvements made to common tools and products. Engineering psychology and thoughtful design are very relevant to this new age of efficiency, conservation and long-term planning. Furthermore, if you are a woman — or a man with a feminine glide — don't worry, it's not you, it's the Rape Steps.

--

Jaya Birch-Desai is a junior majoring in engineering psychology.