Where you read it first | Saturday, September 21, 2024

NYC ban on bake sales overreaches

"Freshman 15" is the first term that appears on the list of suggested search inquiries when one types the word "freshman" into Google. The infamous expression refers to the 15-pound weight gain that supposedly afflicts so many college freshmen. But many colleges and universities now work to ensuring that dining hall options encourage students to maintain healthy eating habits and fend off that extra heft.

Cafeterias for younger students are also embracing more health conscious offerings. This is an important move. But the New York City Department of Education (NYCDOE) went too far this school year when it effectively banned most bake sales in schools in order to limit students' sugar and fat intake.

The new ban on sweets was part of a wellness policy that also limits what can be sold in vending machines and student-run stores. The rules, released in June by the NYCDOE, explicitly state, "To improve the nutritional quality of food and beverages available for sale to students at school, this regulation provides that only foods and beverages approved by the Office of School Food and purchased through central contracts may be sold to pupils during prescribed times within the school day."

It would have been wiser to focus on regulating the inclusion of nutrition and health education and exercise in the curricula of young students — providing students with the resources and materials necessary to promote and educate themselves about healthy eating habits.

New York's school system, like so many others, has vaguely worded policies on nutrition education. The city defers to state guidelines, which read, "Students will have the necessary knowledge and skills to establish and maintain physical fitness, participate in physical activity, and maintain personal health." No specifics are mentioned.

It is clear that good nutrition plays an essential role in youth development. According to the surgeon general, overweight adolescents have a 70 percent likelihood of becoming overweight or obese adults. But the NYCDOE's choice to restrict what students can sell to each other on campuses does not address that the real problem behind the childhood obesity epidemic: a lack of awareness and understanding. What it does do is to annul a time-tested tradition for student clubs in which industrious students can learn the values of hard work in promoting causes that they care about.

Limiting young people's sugar intake between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. does not do enough to limit their likelihood to reach for the candy jar after school. The NYCDOE should concentrate on what its job entails — that is, educating children.

The Daily believes that instead of simply banning fatty foods, schools must work to educate students in ways similar to those of many colleges and universities. For example, Tufts' freshman pre-orientation program Fitness & Individual Development promotes student knowledge by leading discussions on healthy living and by bringing in guest speakers, who present information that equips students with knowledge to make healthier decisions throughout their lives.

Disallowing students from selling each other brownies in order to support causes they believe in does nothing to solve the obesity epidemic, and compromises an important leadership development tool. It only provides an overreaching solution that hides behind the misguided assumption that students won't eat later what they cannot have now.

This is a mistake. Instead of banning bake sales, it is necessary to educate young students so that they can develop lifelong healthy eating habits. With that in place, it is possible that by the time those students go on to attend college, the term "freshman 15" could be a thing of the past.