Where you read it first | Thursday, September 19, 2024

Students pursue credit through alternative venues

Unbeknownst to some students, there are many untraditional ways to fill distribution requirements, major requirements and general credit requirements at Tufts without setting foot in a classroom. Whether it be getting credit for a very practical or untraditional course, work on a play or biology research, it is very possible to graduate without having all credits come from standard Tufts courses.

Sophomore Kevan Mamdouhi is getting credit for an emergency medical technician (EMT) training course he is taking in the physical education department, taught by certified EMTs as part of a satellite program originating at Boston University. The course trains students to pass a state exam in emergency medical care so that they may receive certification as EMTs.

Mamdouhi found out about the class during orientation week of his freshman year. "During orientation, this course was mentioned at one of the events that all students were required to go to, and I really wanted to take it, but I couldn't fit it into my schedule immediately," he said.

The course allows students to gain practical experience that they wouldn't in a regular academic course. "For class we have to do a ride-along with an ambulance company. I did that and saw everything we were learning put into practice ... it is the most immediately practical course I've taken at Tufts because it's real life," Mamdouhi said.

Freshman Callie McHugh also received credit by taking a more practical, work-related course at Tufts. She fulfilled half an art credit by obtaining a role in a play production.

"It was a department show that you have to audition for, and if you get a role, then you sign up for it in a class on SIS," McHugh said. "It's different than other shows because it's directed by a faculty member [as opposed to a student-run production], and costume design, set design and everything else are also done by faculty members." Although McHugh is not one, drama majors are required to do faculty shows.

According to McHugh, the play, "Anything to Declare," directed by Professor of Drama Laurence Senelick, required a very large time commitment even though it only fulfilled half a credit. "Even though I didn't have that large of a role, it was still a very big time commitment. I had to do six performances," she said. "We also have a very intense rehearsal weekend; this year, it was over Valentine's Day weekend, and we had rehearsal all day Saturday and Sunday from 10 in the morning to 11 at night."

Despite the large time commitment, McHugh had a very positive experience. "It was a lot of fun. I would definitely do it again," she said.

The drama and dance department, like many departments at Tufts, also offers additional ways in which students may earn credit other than simply transferring credit from classes taken at other universities. According to Barbara Grossman, associate professor and chair of the department of drama and dance, the department sometimes awards credit for independent work or internships, but this is done on a case-by-case basis.

"We consider a variety of proposals and experiences both during the summer and semester," Grossman said. "In order to award credit, the proposal must be interesting and academically rigorous, comparable to standards at Tufts. In the past, people have done internships in producing and theatrical management."

But if a student receives credit for an internship, it must involve some sort of written component in addition to practical work. "Someone doing an interesting project could get credit but would have to follow it up with a written component and not simply experience on the ground," Grossman explained.

For thesis projects, students may draw on internship or work experience to help them write. "Thesis projects involve directing and production but also a written component," Grossman said. "One of our students did a thesis project involving theater and adolescence using work she did last summer."

In the biology department, student research may sometimes be applied for credit, although the research must meet rigorous standards set by the biology department. "We sometimes give credit for student research, but we are very particular about it ... It must be closely supervised," said Harry Bernheim, associate professor of biology. "We give students a long list of requirements that have to be met. We also have list of requirements for the mentor or principal investigator for the person who's going to be doing the research."

Sophomore Adam Snider is currently doing biology research for credit.

"I am working on a re-cloning project as part of a larger investigation on fragile DNA sequences," Snider said. "One of my biology professors sent a class-wide e-mail about research opportunities within the bio department. I inquired, and the project sounded interesting to me. Working hands-on with more experienced graduate students was a great learning opportunity as well."

The research does require a heavy time commitment, which can be difficult to fit in with other classes but offers flexible scheduling, unlike academic classes that have set start and ending times. "I am taking a heavy courseload ... the good thing about research is that the hours are very flexible, but it still requires a commitment of 10 to 15 hours per week," Snider said.

Snider says he has had a great experience with his research. "I've gotten a lot more out of working here than many of my classes. It's ideal for a hands-on learner," he said.