Where you read it first | Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Sarabande's show takes place 'In Silhouette'

Sarabande will take the stage in Cohen Auditorium tomorrow night for their spring show, "In Silhouette." The performance represents yet another semester's hard work from the dancers that make up one of the smallest ensembles on campus. The title of this year's show was chosen after the Sarabande dancers agreed that they all love seeing their choreography in silhouette.
    ‘In Silhouette' follows a format similar to last semester's show and features Sarabande dances mixed in with performances by other dance groups on campus. One new element that has been added to the spring show is senior spotlights in which every senior will perform a one- to two-minute solo.
    Senior Rachel Zar, the president of Sarabande, will round out her last semester dancing at Tufts with two dances. For her group dance, she choreographed a dance to Radiohead's "National Anthem," and then changed directions for her solo, dancing to The Beatles' "I Will."
    "I try to make my dances different, not so lyrical," Zar said. "I like them to be a little more jazzy, a little more hard-hitting."
    Junior Marissa D'Ambra choreographed a dance to Frou Frou's "Let Go" in which she tried to convey the theme of strong women by showcasing each dancer's individual strengths.
    "We're all girls, and we're all really close," D'Ambra said. We give each other strength."   
    The ensemble will also be performing the dance they used for the last round of Tufts' Best Dance Crew, choreographed by sophomore Alyza DelPan-Monley to "Just Wanna Dance."
    "We're really proud of what we did in Tufts' Best Dance Crew," Zar said.
    Most of the dances feature a large number of girls from the ensemble, so there's ample opportunity to see each dancer's unique talents. As individual as each choreographer makes her dance, the one common factor is that each dance is excellent.
    The performance will start tomorrow night at 9 p.m. Tickets for "In Silhouette" are on sale in Cohen Auditorium Box Office for $7.