Where you read it first | Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Growing mustaches is as easy as 123

Theta Delta Chi (123) brothers took philanthropy to a hairy level over the weekend.

The fraternity hosted its annual Mustachio Bashio party on Saturday and raised $1,500 for community development in Guatemala.

Brothers started growing mustaches for the event three weeks ago. They sold $5 tickets for the Bashio and took suggestions from potential partygoers about the kinds of mustaches they wanted to see.

The handlebar mustache was one of the favorites this year, according to junior Benjamin Shore, the fraternity's president.

"Some of us aren't that competent on facial-hair growing, but we tried our best," Shore said.

Sophomore Alex Abeger took the top prize for his handlebar mustache, when brothers voted his facial hair the best of the charity drive.

Sophomore Maxwell Gray, Theta Delta Chi's philanthropy chair, called the event a success.

"There was a larger turnout than last year, and it was more fun," he said.

Brothers donated the money from the party to Building Understanding through International Learning and Development (BUILD) Guatemala, an Institute for Global Leadership (IGL) program that allows Tufts students to undertake research and service initiatives in the poverty-ridden Latin American country.

Sophomore Marcus Cheek, a Theta Delta Chi brother and a BUILD Guatemala co-leader, said the party attracted a unique set of attendees.

"It brought a whole different crowd that normally doesn't come to 123," he said. "It brought a different social atmosphere and raised awareness about BUILD."

BUILD members are planning to travel to Guatemala during spring break and for six weeks during the summer. They will do construction work there and explore ways to improve locals' access to technology.

Shore said Theta Delta Chi brothers were happy to help make the trips a reality.

"It's a great opportunity to combine philanthropy with fun, which is always a plus," he said.

Proceeds last year went to the V Foundation for Cancer Research, but the fraternity wanted to move away from Theta Delta Chi's national charity this time around and focus on a campus cause.

"It's a nice change of pace," Gray said.

Looking forward to next year, brothers saw little room for improvement -- except in their personal facial-hair goals.

"Hopefully," Shore said, "I'll just be able to grow a better mustache."