Where you read it first | Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Comedy kings Paul Rudd and Jason Segel spend quality time discussing their latest film, "I Love You, Man"

The Daily recently spoke with Jason Segel and Paul Rudd about their new movie "I Love You, Man." Rudd and Segel chatted about their future plans, their ideas for the perfect "man date" and what it's like to star in a "bromance" movie. "I Love You, Man" follows newly engaged Peter Klaven (played by Rudd) as he tries to find a best man. When Peter meets Sydney Fife (Segel), their friendship grows as they get into strange situations, like a fight with Lou Ferrigno, the original star of "The Incredible Hulk" (1978).

Question: What was your favorite part of shooting the movie in terms of who you worked with — your favorite scenes?

Jason Segel: My favorite part of shooting the movie was working with Paul Rudd again. I must say, it's our third movie together and ... you know, it took us a while, but we really finally get along.

Paul Rudd: It was rough at first. And I feel like my answer ... would be the same. It's working with Jason. You know, we're in the same room. And we're kind of looking at each other now. And I want to know if that's really — Jason, is that really your answer? Really? Would it be working with me really?

JS: Yeah. Absolutely. I'm already trying to plan the next one.

Q: What is your idea of a perfect man date after working on this romantic comedy?
JS: Why don't you go first while I kind of formulate what I'd like to do with you tonight.

PR: Oh, all right. I want to go first because I want you to formulate it ... a perfect man date would be an early dinner. I want to have an early dinner because [if] I don't, if it's late, then you're eating into valuable time. You know what? Six o'clock is okay. I'd like to finish dinner ... I'd like to have a pitcher of sangria. And then I would like to go back to the Mandarin Oriental Hotel where I have rented a suite ... and slip into a bathtub of linseed oil. And then I would like a massage — an ice cream massage. Yeah. And then finally settle down with a little SpectroVision and then maybe catch "Defiance" (2008), the film with Daniel Craig. That, by the way, I actually just call Tuesday.

JS: Yeah. I'd like to have like a — sometime around 5:45 — just some Argentinean food, a real casual Argentinean dinner, maybe a pitcher of red sangria. And then I would head back to a suite at the Four Seasons that I have rented and give the guy who I am having a man date with ... a bath in, like, salted butter. And, yeah, then we would settle in to watch a movie on DVD, maybe something like, you know, like the first "James Bond" (1962), without Daniel Craig.

Q: I basically want to know, do you guys see yourselves working together in another movie in the future?
PR: Jason, do you see it?

JS: Yeah. I definitely see it.

PR: I see it too. What would it be?

JS: Maybe a remake of "Harold and Maude" (1971).

PR: Which one of us is Maude?

JS: Two guesses.

PR: F--k it's me, isn't it?

JS: Of course.

Q: Both of you have been very successful as comedic actors, and I am wondering if either of you have ever thought about trying on a different genre.
JS: Well, Paul Rudd is a very, very diverse actor. He has gone from Broadway to the Weston in London to drama to comedy to somewhere in between. I mean, you look at an actor like Paul Rudd and you think diversity and talent. Yeah. I'd like to play, like, a villain.

PR: Yes. Because I think that your style, Jason, is very, very specific. Nobody does — like, what would you do? It's fascinating to watch. And I think that you could be terrifying. You also, oh my God, I almost choked on my own spit. You also ... are physically imposing.

JS: Oh yeah, I'm a big dude. Thanks.

PR: And I'm short and squatty. I look like a thumb. I like any genre in which I can play a thumb.

Q: This film, as well as films in the past, have had both comed[ic] and romantic elements. In real life or in the movies, which are you more experienced with and why is the other most difficult?

JS: Okay. I have had the most experience so far with comedy. What do I think is more difficult? I actually think comedy is more difficult because in our style of comedy ... you still have to be natural and real and believable, as with a drama, and there are certainly dramatic moments. But then, on top of that, you have to layer humor and jokes. You know, it's not like we're doing broad, slapstick comedy most of the time. So it's the same challenges as a drama but then with another layer of comedy added on top, like a parfait. Yeah. Like a funny parfait.