Where you read it first | Friday, October 18, 2024

Popular British group puts Bubs song on CD

The Tufts Beelzebubs are making waves across the pond.

The a cappella group's cover of a song by The Feeling appears on the re-release of a number-one album by the British group. The Bubs are the only outside group featured on the CD.

The Feeling recently put out a deluxe edition of "Join With Us" (2008), which topped the U.K. charts and is available in six other European countries. It includes alternate versions of songs from the original release and two covers of other bands' songs performed by The Feeling.

The Bubs' rendition of "Love It When You Call" will appear as the last track on the album.

Bubs alum Marty Fernandi (LA '87) originally heard the song while working in New York City at EMI Music Publishing, a British-owned company. EMI administers the rights for The Feeling's compositions.

"[I] always wanted to keep an ear open for songs that could be good Bubs songs," he said. "They don't come along that often … once every five to 10 years."

When he heard the track, Fernandi instantly felt that it would be an excellent choice for the Tufts group. "I just flipped," said Fernandi, who eventually recommended it to then-Bubs music director Alex Koutzoukis, now a senior.

The group started performing the song two years ago and included it on its most recent album, "Pandaemonium" (2007).

"It's an upbeat, kind of pop-rock song," Bub member Matthew McCormick said. "It's almost a silly song, especially the way we do it." The Bubs throw on an operatic ending "just for fun," said McCormick, a junior.

The Feeling contacted the Bubs last December and asked for permission to use the recording on the deluxe version of the CD. The Bubs had supplied Fernandi with a copy of the recording before "Pandaemonium" was finished, and the alum approached The Feeling when the band came to New York as part of a U.S. tour.

"We gave him a copy of the song because we know he was going to come in contact with the band when they were in New York," McCormick said. "They loved it."

"Join With Us" is not currently available in the United States, but may be sold here in the future, Fernandi said.

The deluxe edition contains two CDs, entitled "New Friends" and "Old Friends."

"Old Friends" consists of alternate versions of songs from The Feeling's first album and the two covers, while "New Friends" is the original album.

Although the CD was released earlier in the year, the Bubs are still in communication with the group's label. The a cappella group still needs to discuss royalties with The Feeling, among other details.

"Hopefully we'll be able to negotiate a deal with them to get some copies," sophomore Bub Eli Seidman said. "We'll definitely want to get our hands on some of the CDs."

Lucas Walker (LA '08) is the soloist on the Bubs' rendition. Walker graduated last year, but will be in attendance at this Friday's Bubs concert. "He might just burst out into song," Seidman said. "You never know."