Where you read it first | Wednesday, October 23, 2024

Top Ten | Bond Gadgets

As the newest installment of the James Bond series is hitting theatres this Friday, the Daily took some time to reflect upon the 30-odd years of Bond we've already enjoyed. We decided the best part of nearly every movie (besides the ridiculous sexual innuendos) was the random and unnecessary gadgets that James always has handy. Strangely, James always seems to have every form of protection known to man except one…

10. Wetsuit With Rubber Duckie: In "Goldfinger" (1964), Bond goes all rub-a-dub-dub and uses a rubber duck atop his wetsuit for camouflage. Though this move is a little "Sesame Street," 007 gets extra points for being comical and stealthy.

9. Crocodile: Bond used this motorboat disguised as a crocodile in 1983's "Octopussy" in order to get to Octopussy's island without being noticed. It's pretty obvious that a metal crocodile like you might find at a putt-putt course would trick any kind of evil mastermind.

8. Yo-Yo Saw: This gadget is a rotating saw blade attached to string so that it can be wielded similarly to a yo-yo. You wouldn't want to "walk the dog" with that toy — unless you're cool with being toe less. If you're looking for a fun and easy way to horribly mangle a small child, though, you're in luck...

7. Cello and Case: An alternate use for the equipment of cello-playing music majors has finally been found. In "The Living Daylights" (1987), Bond employs the case as a sled. It would also be great for storing dead bodies and other cello-shaped objects — like cellos, or really big violins.

6. Exploding Cake: What better way to congratulate someone than with a flambé surprise? The villainous Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd snuck one of these into Bond's hotel room in the end of "Diamonds are Forever" (1971), and instead of just shooting Bond, they patiently waited for the cake to explode. Though it didn't fulfill its original purpose, the exploding cake was pretty effective in doing away with the bad guys.

5. Magnetic Watch: Now, why would this come in handy? The answer wasn't so clear at first, until a villain in "Live and Let Die" (1973) finally had a clear shot at Bond for like the first time ever, only to find the bullet deflected by the watch's magnetic field. So what if "Mythbusters" "proved" that no size magnet could alter the path of a bullet in any way? Q's technology is obviously superior.

4. Bagpipe: Though it was never actually used, this bagpipe seen lying in Q's lab in "The World is Not Enough" (1999) featured a built-in flamethrower and machine gun. Think about the possibilities! Bond could kill someone, burn the remains and hold a funeral service, all in mere seconds!

3. Ski Pole/Gun: Finally, a truly practical gadget! In addition to its use in "The Spy Who Loved Me" (1977), this object could finally bring the biathalon into the 21st century. Why carry a bulky rifle on your back when you can carry two with even less effort? If only they could make it into a phone too...

2. Dentonite Toothpaste: This one wins from the sheer force of its clever title. Even better, Bond used a pack of cigarettes as a detonator in "License to Kill" (1989). Subliminal advertising, anyone?

1. James Bond's personal ‘Gadget': When things get heated, Bond can always rely on his favorite tool to give him the rigid resolve to get out of a hard situation. Oh, James…