Where you read it first | Sunday, September 8, 2024

It's all Greek to me: Fast facts about frats and sororities

Only 8.5 percent of full-time university undergraduates nationwide are members of either a fraternity or a sorority.

Approximately 13 percent of undergraduate students at Tufts are chapter members.

Tufts has 16 active general fraternities and sororities, including nine men's fraternities, three women's sororities, one co-ed independent fraternity and three active culturally based, city-wide Greek organizations.

Forty-eight percent of all U.S. presidents and 40 percent of all Supreme Court justices have been Greek. For current U.S. senators, the corresponding number is 42 percent; for current U.S. representatives, it is 30 percent.

One hundred and twenty Forbes 500 CEOs were fraternity or sorority members (including the CEOs of AIG, J.P. Morgan Chase, Goldman Sachs, Wachovia and General Motors).

In addition to social fraternities, there are dozens of professional fraternities and sororities nationwide. These are structured around a certain field of study and are more directly geared toward career advancement.

New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson (A '70, F '71) was president of Delta Tau Delta at Tufts, and former Tufts President Leonard Carmichael was a brother in Theta Delta Chi during his time as a Jumbo. Current Tufts President Lawrence Bacow was a member of Zeta Beta Tau as an undergraduate at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.