Where you read it first | Saturday, September 7, 2024

Visiting the Hill this week

MONDAY

"Gregory Botsaris Lecture"
Details: Y.A. Liu, a professor of chemical engineering at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, will lecture on the "Fundamentals and Industrial Practice of Water Reuse and Wastewater Minimization."
When & Where: 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.; Room 136, Science and Technology Center

"Junot Díaz: ‘The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao'"
Details: Pulitzer Prize winner Ju not Díaz will speak about his most recent novel "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" (2007). A book signing will follow. The talk is part of the Women's Center's weeklong series on masculinity, "Man Enough?"
When & Where: 5:30 p.m.; Room 104, Pearson
Sponsors: Women's Center, Latino Center

"Media Literacy and Social Change presents Sandy Kessler of Harvard's Kennedy School of Government"
Details: Sandy Kessler will make a guest appearance in Julie Dobrow's Media Literacy and Social Change class. Kessler comes from Harvard's Kennedy School of Government and is the former brand manager of Proctor and Gamble.
When & Where: 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.; Rabb Room, Lincoln Filene Center
Sponsor: Communications and Media Studies Program

"An Election of Change"
Details: Norman Ornstein of the American Enterprise Institute will give a lecture entitled "An Election of Change: How Much, What Kind, What Consequences?"
When & Where: 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.; Coolidge Room, Ballou Hall
Sponsors: Tisch College of Citizenship and Public Service, Political Science Department, Pi Sigma Alpha

TUESDAY

"Men as Allies in the University Women's Center"
Details: Jack Kahn, author of an upcoming introductory textbook on masculinity and co-chair of the Boston Chapter of the National Organization of Men Against Sexism, will speak. Lunch will be provided.
When & Where: 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.; Women's Center
Sponsor: Women's Center

"1968: The Year that Shook the World"
Details: A panel discussion featuring Political Science Professor Michael Goldman and Tufts alumni will focus on the historical events of 1968 and their impact across the globe and on Tufts' campus.
When & Where: 7:30 p.m.; Coolidge Room, Ballou Hall
Sponsors: Experimental College, History Department

"Reporting a Dangerous World — Dispatches Launch Event"
Details: A panel of prominent journalists will speak on redesigning global news coverage for the modern, digital era. Dispatches, a print magazine analyzing current world events, and Global News Enterprise, an online foreign news service, will host the event.
When & Where: 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.; Alumnae Lounge, Aidekman Arts Center
Sponsors: Institute for Global Leadership; Dispatches, Global News Enterprises, Edward R. Murrow Center at the Fletcher School, Communications and Media Studies Program

WEDNESDAY

"Presidential Decisionmaking: Military Intervention in Iraq"
Details: Ambassador Barbara Bodine, the former U.S. deputy Iraq administrator and State Department counterterrorism coordinator, will speak on military intervention in Iraq during a brown bag luncheon. The luncheon is part of a weekly speaker series on U.S. foreign policy hosted by Ambassador John Shattuck. R.S.V.P. to Sarah.Labowitz@tufts.edu.
When & Where: 12:00 p.m. to 1:15 p.m.; Terrace Room, Paige Hall
Sponsor: Tisch College of Citizenship and Public Service

"Challenges in a Changing World"
Details: Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) will speak at the inaugural Fletcher Political Forum, which is meant to address the connections between international affairs and domestic policy.
When & Where: 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.; Cohen Auditorium

THURSDAY

"Decision ‘08: Brown Bag Lunch with Steve Grossman"
Details: Steve Grossman, former chairman of National Democratic Committee and of the Massachusetts Democratic Party will discuss the upcoming presidential election during a brown bag luncheon. This lecture is part of a weekly speaker series on the upcoming presidential election hosted by Alan Solomont. Drinks and fruit will be provided. R.S.V.P. to douglas.foote@gmail.com.
When & Where: 12:00 p.m. to 1:15 p.m.; Rabb Room, Lincoln Filene Center

"Computer Science Distinguished Lecture"
Details: Jennifer Chayes, managing director of the Microsoft Research New England Lab, will speak on "Epidemics in Technological and Social Networks: The Downside of Six Degrees of Separation" as part of the Distinguished Lecture Series.
When & Where: 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.; Room 111A, Halligan Hall
Sponsor: Computer Science Department

--To submit an event to "Visiting the Hill," send listings to events@tuftsdaily.com.