Where you read it first | Sunday, October 6, 2024

Lack of communication with Somerville Fire Department slows down Zeta Psi construction

Brothers of the Zeta Psi fraternity have yet to move back into their house this semester, due to a delayed construction project.

The work was planned to be finished by September but has run into complications resulting from crossed signals with the Somerville Fire Department.

The construction should be completed soon, but there is no exact estimate for when, according to Zeta Psi President Jeff Stone. "[The brothers are] just rolling with it, that's all you can do," said Stone, a junior.

The construction project began in June and was on schedule until a fire alarm went off. When the Somerville Fire Department responded to the alarm, they determined that the fraternity needed new permits for construction.

"We were not totally aware of the level of contact necessary with the city," Stone said.

After the revelation, the fire department re-inspected the whole construction project and imposed strict new standards. From this point on, the work became increasingly meticulous.

For instance, based on the new standards, the front stairs were one inch too tall and needed to be shortened. Furthermore, each time the house needed a new inspection, there was a 30-day waiting period, which greatly halted progress, according to Stone.

The brothers are hopeful that the final project will be finished shortly. They said it will occur in phases as originally planned. The current phase, the first of two, involves adding new walls and windows.

The second phase of construction, slated to take place this summer, involves renovating the kitchen and bathrooms. Stone hopes this stage will not disrupt the life of the fraternity during the next school year as it has this year.

Zeta Psi's alumni fund has financed all of the construction. "Alums have been very helpful and willing in the process," Stone said. Last year's president, Steve Jantzen (E '08), reached out to alumni for support.

Stone said the brothers of Zeta Psi are a cohesive group, and they are looking forward to returning to their home.