Where you read it first | Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Harris' return to the director's seat makes for a dramatic, intelligent Western flick

Many people know Ed Harris from his acting roles in hits like "The Truman Show" (1998) and "A Beautiful Mind" (2001), but it's time to get to know Ed Harris the director as well. After an eight-year hiatus since his directorial debut in "Pollack" (2000), Harris is back behind the camera to direct the new Western, "Appaloosa." Utilizing simple techniques and some strong performances, this movie does not disappoint. A smart and entertaining Western, it has drama, romance and the perfect amount of action.

Set in 1882, the movie stars Harris (who also co-wrote the screenplay) as Virgil Cole and Viggo Mortensen as Everett Hitch, two nomadic law enforcers known for their excellent shooting skills. Scared townsfolk in Appaloosa hire the two after the abrupt murder of their former marshal. They are employed primarily to stop the conniving and ruthless rancher Randall Bragg (played by Jeremy Irons) from taking over the town. After temporarily restoring order to Appaloosa, Cole and Hitch encounter Allison French (played by Renée Zellweger), a widow from the East Coast who immediately catches everyone's attention.

Cole does not have the time to fret over his love life and must focus on keeping order. Bragg is finally caught and charged with murder but escapes before he is to be hanged. Cole and Hitch set out to track him down and finish what they were hired to do, but with Bragg nothing is what it seems. Nonetheless, the two lawmen continue to do their job and carry out justice until the sudden, jolting conclusion.

The relationship between Marshal Cole and Deputy Hitch is the movie's strongest element. Whether it is playful banter or serious business, their bond and chemistry give the film a strong foundation. Their loyalty for each other is best showcased after French makes a pass at Hitch, which he rejects and says, "We're both with Virgil." In some scenes, dialogue is not even necessary; the two can simply glance at each other to get the message across. The script was designed for them to excel, packed with witty dialogue and humorous interactions.

Mortensen, who is quietly becoming one of the best actors of his generation, outshines the rest of the cast, giving another superb performance. His mannerisms, emotions and expressions are all on point and he portrays Hitch's subtle confidence perfectly. Harris is good too, pumping a rugged bravado into the always-in-control Cole.

Irons is serviceable as the villainous Bragg, although it would have been nice to see what he could have done with a larger, more-developed role. The main problem with the acting is Zellweger. Though she won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress in "Cold Mountain" (2003), another Western, she fails to bring anything close to the same level of energy to this movie. She lacks the sexuality necessary to be the femme fatale the role requires and is just not as believable as she has been in other parts. Her relationship with Cole snowballs far too quickly, as a result of a flaw in the script, and never develops enough to captivate the audience's interest. With such serious narrative shortcomings, the 114-minute running time feels like an eternity.

For the most part, however, like any good Western, the good outweighs the bad. Harris allows the story to tell itself using simple shots, and avoids clogging up the flow with too many close-ups. The movie has a throwback feel to it and attempts to simply be an intellectual, rather than entertaining, piece of art. This movie will not garner serious award consideration, but that does not take away from the fact that Harris has made a respectable, enjoyable film.