Where you read it first | Friday, October 18, 2024

Football | Forde tough: Running back given Gold Helmet Award for performance in Div. III

News around the Jumbo football locker room only got better this week as senior running back Will Forde, who led the Jumbos to their third victory on Saturday -- a 17-7 win over Williams -- was named the recipient of the Boston Globe's Gold Helmet Award yesterday.

The New England Football Writers Association gives the award out weekly to one Div. I athlete and one athlete from Div. II or III.

Forde is averaging 5.0 yards per carry and leads the NESCAC in both average all-purpose yards per game with 140.2 and total yards on the ground with 655.

The running back posted a standout performance in the team's underdog victory -- its first win against the Ephs in 21 years -- leading the way with 130 yards on 23 carries and one touchdown. His effort was highlighted by an impressive 70-yard rush that led to his touchdown on the same drive. Forde got in the mix on the receiving end as well, grabbing four passes from junior quarterback Anthony Fucillo.

The award has been given to three other Jumbos who have been part of coach Bill Samko's program: Dan Morse (LA '98), Tim Mack (LA '03) and Andy Henke (LA '07).

Forde now has 1,320 yards rushing and 13 touchdowns for his career and looks to lead the team (3-2) to its second straight win as it takes on Amherst College (4-1) Saturday in Amherst, Mass. on Pratt Field at 1 p.m