Where you read it first | Friday, October 18, 2024

Chemistry professor works with national academy that advises president, Congress

The National Academy of Engineering (NAE) extended membership to Chemistry Professor David Walt earlier this year, recognizing his development of specialized sensors that can both capture images and perform biochemical analyses.

Walt joined Engineering Dean Linda Abriola in the NAE ranks when he was elected in January, along with 64 other new members from across the country and nine foreign associates. The NAE made its choices public in February.

"It's a very gratifying recognition, not just for me but for the students who have been working with me for the past 20 years," Walt said. This year's new additions bring the total NAE membership to 2,227 domestic engineers and 194 foreign associates.

The NAE, based in Washington, D.C., is part of the National Academies, a group of organizations that advise the federal government on science, engineering and medicine. NAE members are elected by their peers.

At Tufts, Walt is renowned for his application of micro- and nanotechnology to biological issues and his practical research in areas such as the detection of explosives and chemical warfare agents. In addition to his role as the Robinson Professor of Chemistry, he serves as an adjunct biomedical engineering professor at the School of Engineering. He has been at Tufts since 1981.

Election to the NAE is "partly honorific, but certainly a role in which we solicit [members'] advice regarding the advancement of engineering," said Randy Atkins, the academy's senior program officer for media and public relations.

Atkins stressed that the honor is very significant, as very few people are elected. Members are primarily chosen for past contributions to their fields.

"The NAE brings together the very best experts in the world to advise the government," Atkins said.

Walt expects the most significant difference in light of the honor to be that he will probably spend more time traveling, as he will be expected to serve on advisory committees that provide guidance to Congress and the president.

Associate Chemistry Professor Elena Rybak-Akimova, one of Walt's colleagues, said that she expects that students will be happy to know that they have a professor as accomplished as Walt.

Walt's election was "well deserved," she said, "although this recognition may be somewhat overdue."

According to Walt, the NAE is "focused on the right things, like the importance of science and technology in people's lives."

He cited the influence of a 2007 book, "Rising Above the Gathering Storm: Energizing and Employing America for a Brighter Economic Future," which addresses the need to keep America competitive with economic, scientific and technological developments happening throughout the world. The book was written by National Academies organizations, including the NAE.

Atkins and Walt both emphasized that the NAE's governmental-advising process reflects a significant team effort based on the collaboration of talented engineers from around the world.

Walt said he intends "to help them come up with some specifics about how to achieve these goals."