Where you read it first | Monday, September 16, 2024

Athletes of the Week

David Halas, Football

Senior wide receiver David Halas made his mark during the Tufts football team's 28-26 losing effort to Bowdoin on Saturday, tying the record for receiving touchdowns in a game with three. Halas' scores also eclipsed the record for career receiving touchdowns in the program with 13. The career mark had previously been shared by Jon Troy (LA, '00) and Rich Giacchetti (LA, '70) with 12.

Halas had eight receptions for 124 yards in the game, his best overall performance of the season thus far. Prior to Saturday's contest, Halas had totaled six catches for 66 yards and two touchdowns across two games. The senior wideout's success this season is even more impressive considering he has had to adjust to a new quarterback, junior transfer Anthony Fucillo, following the graduation of last year's starter Matt Russo (LA '08).

Next, Halas will lead the Jumbo receiving corps into its road matchup with perennial NESCAC powerhouse Trinity Saturday. The senior will try to eclipse his stat-line from last year's game against the Bantams, when he had three receptions for 63 yards and one touchdown in Tufts' upset 16-10 victory.

Amanda Russo, Field Hockey

Junior forward Amanda Russo scored two goals while leading the No. 10 field hockey team to a dominating 4-0 victory over the NESCAC rival Amherst Lord Jeffs.

After senior tri-captain Brittany Holiday put the Jumbos on the board in the 17th minute of play, Russo followed up with the team's second and third goals, the first being perfectly timed right before halftime to diminish any of Amherst's hopes for a second-half comeback. Russo's second goal came less than 10 minutes into the second half, followed by junior Michelle Kelly's score after a corner cross from Holiday.

Russo has accumulated eight goals on the season, good for a second-place tie with Kelly behind only sophomore Tamara Brown's 12 goals. Despite her strong goal-scoring capabilities, Russo's most redeeming quality is in the assist column, where she far-and-away leads the team with seven; the next closest Jumbo has three.

Russo and the Jumbos, who moved to 8-0 overall and 5-0 in the NESCAC with the victory, will play at Middlebury on Saturday.