Where you read it first | Saturday, September 7, 2024

Police Briefs

Identity crisis: Two addresses to match those two IDs
    Tufts University Police Department (TUPD) officers responded to a call at 12:30 a.m. on Aug. 28 from Bartol House, commonly called the Arts Haus, at 37 Sawyer Ave. The caller reported that a suspicious male was knocking on the house's front and back doors. Upon arriving, officers found a student at the rear of the Health Service building.
    When they asked the individual where he lived, he pointed to the Health Service building, which is at 124 Professors Row, and said 98 Professors Row, according to Sergeant Robert McCarthy of TUPD.
    The individual was asked for identification and produced two different driver's licenses, one that indicated he was 21 and one that said he was 20. "Guess which one was the real one," McCarthy said.
    TEMS was called and the individual was eventually deemed well enough to be released and then was brought back to his fraternity house.

Reveries early in the year cause late-night violations
    Some off-campus parties the first weekend back at school resulted in noise violations and fines for Tufts students.
    TUPD officers responded to a call at 12:40 a.m. on Sept. 1 from West Adams Road reporting a loud party. Officers from the Somerville Police Department also came to the scene and fined the residents $300 for a noise violation.
    Later that night, at 1:30 a.m., officers from both departments went to Ossipee Road to follow up on a report of a noise disturbance.
    The officers found about 25 people in the backyard playing beer pong, McCarthy said. Somerville Police officers fined the residents $300 as well.

Basement Boozin'
    A resident from Miller Hall called TUPD at 11 p.m. on Sept. 2 to complain about noise coming from Oxfam Café, which is located in the dormitory's basement.
    When police arrived at the scene, several people were in Oxfam, and some were drinking. They had been using Oxfam for an event, McCarthy said. Some people brought alcohol and it developed into a small party.
    The officers broke up the gathering and forced everyone to leave.