Where you read it first | Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Play in the rain, hit Berklee's jazz festival

As a sea of boisterously intoxicated students filters into Tufts' football stadium on Saturday, you may find yourself wondering how you ended up on a hard metal seat screaming for bulky men in uniform. Football and beer aren't for everyone. If you're looking for an alternative to Homecoming on Saturday, look no further than the Berklee BeanTown Jazz Festival in Boston.

Featuring a wealth of world-renowned musicians as well as a collection of outstanding local performers, the BeanTown Jazz Fest has made its mark on the city of Boston for the past seven years. From its first turnout of 10,000, the festival has blossomed to attract some 70,000 visitors to Boston's streets in 2007. Now Boston's most popular outdoor festival, the event spans three days and includes over 17 bands and 120 musicians, with crowds flocking to the outdoor finale on Saturday.

"You really get to see Boston at its best," said Tom Riley, director of the festival. "Last year we had a beautiful day, sun shining; and it really adds something to the atmosphere."

"From noon until 6 p.m. performers permeate three stages which stretch over six blocks on Columbus Avenue," he continued.

Riley also stressed the natural collaborative effort between the Berklee College of Music and the jazz celebration, explaining the way in which students often aid in performances. The first night of the festival is held at a Berklee campus venue, Café 393. Last night, the warm-up party at the café featured performances associated with Berklee's Jazz Revelation Records, a completely student-run recording label that serves to highlight talented jazz performers from the College of Music.

The festival continues tonight at the Berklee Performance Center at 8:15 p.m. with a "Drum Summit" that features two energetic and entertaining contemporary drummers, Cindy Blackman and Terri Lyne Carrington, both of whom have worked with the likes of legendary artists such as Lenny Kravitz and Herbie Hancock. They'll be joined by pianists Geri Allen and Patrice Rushen, along with the fun and funky guitarist David Gilmore (who is also a professor at Berklee). Tineke Postma, a sax player hailing from Holland, will also be lending her talents to the night's tunes. Tickets for this part of the festival can be purchased ahead of time through Ticketmaster.com.

The real day not to miss, however, is Saturday, which will gear its events to all age groups and will include an "instrument petting zoo."

"There was a lot of confusion when we first talked about the idea; people thought there were going to be actual animals at the festival," Riley said. "Anyone who participated, though, had a lot of fun getting to know the instruments and playing with them."

Photos, face painting, temporary tattoos and booths with crafts, wares and food from a variety of countries will also color the event, adding to its multi-dimensional appeal.

The show will go on, rain or shine, so don't think that any storm clouds will keep the saxophones away. If you'd rather trade your foam finger for finger-snapping on Saturday, head to Columbus Avenue via the Green Line. The BeanTown Jazz Festival is not simply for established jazz enthusiasts but for anyone eager to celebrate and cultivate the musical culture of Boston.

--

Berklee BeanTown Jazz Festival

Rain or shine at Berklee Performance Center, Café 939 and outdoor stages along Columbus Avenue
Sept. 25 - 27
Schedule available online at beantownjazz.org