Where you read it first | Friday, October 18, 2024

Men's Soccer | Scoring draught comes to end in first NESCAC win of season

After a week in which the men's soccer team managed just one goal in almost 220 minutes of play, the Jumbos needed only 160 seconds to break through Saturday, earning a 2-1 victory over NESCAC rival Conn. College. The win moves Tufts to 1-1-0 in the NESCAC and 3-1-1 overall.

It was no surprise that the Jumbos came out looking for a quick start. On Sept. 13, in a 2-1 double-overtime loss to the Colby Mules, Tufts surrendered the decisive goal with just four seconds left in the second period of OT, while Tuesday's game at New England College resulted in a 0-0 tie. Thus, when junior forward Dan Schoening buried a low cross from sophomore midfielder Ron Coleman midway through the game's third minute, the relief on the sidelines was evident.

"It feels good to get an early start," Coleman said. "It's good to put a few in the back of the net so we don't have to play those extra 10 minutes."

After jumping out to a quick lead, the Jumbos had a few chances to extend their lead early on in the game. In the 23rd minute, junior tri-captain Bear Duker's free kick from 10 yards outside of the box slammed off the cross bar. In the 38th minute, Tufts threatened again with a series of crisp passes near the Camel goal before the play was called off due to an offside penalty.

Having controlled possession for much of the first half, Tufts entered the break with its 1-0 lead intact. But shortly after senior tri-captain Dave McKeon made a diving save on a Conn. College free kick, Coleman lofted a left-footed shot over Conn. College senior goalie Ted Lane's outstretched hand to make the score 2-0 in the 48th minute.

"Scoring a goal anytime is a bonus, and I think we needed that after the last couple of games," coach Ralph Ferrigno said. "I don't know that the approach was different. I suppose that, whereas, in the two previous games we didn't score at the key times, I think we did today … that takes pressure off the team when that happens."

Down 2-0 early in the second half, the Camels showed more offensive cohesion than they did during the game's first 45 minutes. Around the 53rd minute, a Conn. College corner kick bounced dangerously around the six-yard box but was eventually dealt with handily by McKeon. Then, in the 63rd minute, Camel sophomore forward Trevor Prophet's blast was halted by another diving McKeon save.

Prophet's efforts were finally rewarded in the 88th minute when he struck a low shot into the right side of the Tufts net. It was too little too late, however, and the Jumbos held on to win 2-1.

"They came out quicker and caught us off guard," Prophet said. "It was that simple … they had some good chances and they capitalized in the first four minutes of each half."

The victory was an important one for a Tufts team that is still recovering from injuries and offseason roster changes.

"We [only] have a few players back," senior tri-captain Peter DeGregorio said. "We've been struggling with injuries [since] the beginning of the year."

Ferrigno stressed the importance of having consistent personnel from week to week.

"We've had some injuries, and I think that this was the first day that I had everybody to choose from," he said. "I still don't know what my best team is, to be honest."

Next up for the Jumbos is a home game tomorrow against non-conference opponent Springfield, which brings its 2-3-1 to Kraft Field. For Tufts, Saturday's victory may prove to be a turning point.

"It's definitely good to get this [win]," DeGregorio said. "All NESCAC games are important, and we wanted to get one under our belt. Last Saturday was really tough, and it's great to win."

"Everyone just needs to get more comfortable out there," Coleman said. "We have a lot of sophomores and a couple freshmen playing, so we're a young team — the more games under our belts, the more we're going to gel as a team."