Where you read it first | Friday, October 18, 2024

Games of the Week

Looking Back (Sept. 14) | Chicago Cubs 5, Houston Astros 0

So much for being hurt.

In his first game back since being sidelined with a sore rotator cuff, Chicago Cubs ace Carlos Zambrano left no doubt he's ready to lead the North Siders into the stretch run, hurling the franchise's first no-hitter in 36 years. Zambrano joined Red Sox lefty Jon Lester as the only pitchers to toss no-hitters this season.

Playing before a crowd of 23,441 in Milwaukee's Miller Park — the game had to be relocated from Houston in the aftermath of Hurricane Ike — Zambrano faced just one more than the minimum, striking out 10, including left fielder Darin Erstad for the game's final out. Big Z helped his own cause by going 1-3 at the plate and scoring on first baseman Derrek Lee's two-run double in the top of the third inning.

Zambrano's dazzling performance was a good sign for Cub fans, who had seen their ace struggle since he posted a first half worthy of early Cy Young consideration. Prior to Sunday's effort, the burly right-hander had been 3-2 with a 4.50 ERA since the All-Star break. But Sunday's no-hitter will surely quiet any concerns that Zambrano is not healthy enough to help the postseason-bound Cubs as they try to capture their first World Series crown since 1908.

A Chicago pitcher came close to hurling another no-hitter the very next day, as Zambrano's teammate, Ted Lilly, held the same Astros squad hitless until the seventh inning. The Cubs went on to win 6-1 and sweep the weather-shortened two-game set with Houston.

Looking Ahead (Sept. 24) | Women's Soccer at Wheaton

After the women's soccer team gets through with its matchup against NESCAC rival Conn. College this weekend, the squad will encounter what is perennially one of its toughest early-season tests: New England powerhouse Wheaton.

The two teams, consistently among the best in the region, have built up a memorable rivalry in recent years. Since 2004, the Lyons have controlled the regular season matchup, winning three of the past four meetings and shutting the Jumbos out in the past two.

But Tufts won the most significant game in the rivalry, besting Wheaton 5-2 in the 2005 NCAA Sweet Sixteen, part of a postseason run in which the Jumbos reached the Final Four. Tufts was down 2-0 at halftime before exploding for five second-half tallies en route to the victory.

The nationally-ranked No. 10 Lyons, who have won 88 consecutive games against their NEWMAC opponents, are as strong as ever this season, having torn through the beginning of their schedule at a 6-1 clip. In seven games, Wheaton has outscored its opponents 17-1.

This season, both teams are featured prominently in the most recent NCAA regional rankings, which were released on Tuesday. The Lyons currently sit in second place in New England, right behind defending NESCAC champion Williams. The Jumbos, meanwhile, remain in the No. 5 spot after opening their season with a 1-0 victory over Colby Saturday afternoon.